StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:Have you ever tried Dogfish's Burton Baton?  I am wondering about oaking this IIPA, but I've never had an oaked IPA that I can think of.  I did a search and found a few, but none that I've tried.
I have not.  I saw it once around here and stupid me, didnt grab it.
.....and here I thought I could depend on you.

I probably won't do it to this one, but the oaked IPA thought is slowly growing on me.
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:.....and here I thought I could depend on you.
I know I know!  I am SO dissappointed in myself!!
Just racked my IPA from the dryhops to the keg, HOLY SH!T does it smell good!  I think I just found my favorite hop combo!  Amarillo, Chinook, CTZ.
Just crushed the grains and am heating my mash water to make my Toasted Glacier Ale.  A pale ale that uses toasted 2-row and all Glacier hops for flavor and aroma, its wonderful!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 qt     
Boil Size: 36.00 qt
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
10 lbs 14.4 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        87.90 %      
12.0 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        6.05 %       
12.0 oz       Munich Malt, Light (6.5 SRM)              Grain        6.05 %       
0.75 oz       Nugget [12.00 %]  (90 min)                Hops         31.0 IBU     
0.50 oz       Glacier [6.00 %]  (30 min)                Hops         7.4 IBU      
1.00 oz       Glacier [6.00 %]  (10 min)                Hops         7.0 IBU      
2.00 oz       Glacier [6.00 %]  (0 min)                 Hops          -           
1 Pkgs        Safale Ameican Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)     Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.40 lb
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Notes:
------
Mash at 154*
Toast 1lb of 2-Row in 350* over for 30 mins.  Store in brown paper bag for 1 week before brew day.
Got my boil rolling right now. [7up]  It cold and windy here, 20-30mph gusts, took close to an hour to get my boil going when it usually takes 20-25 mins.

Also, I am quite proud of this recipe as it is my first one that I made from scratch myself.  I really like a toasty background in most beers and Harpoon makes a wet hopped all Glacier IPA that is great, so I tried to incorporate both of those into this Pale Ale.  The first time I brewed it I toasted the 2-row a little to long, so I had some roasty/burnt flavors comming through, the second time I adjusted the time and temp for the 2-row and it came out much better.
Well, got everything ready for the Imperial Oak Aged Stout, and also got the stuff for a 2 gal batch of the black cherry cyser, since the first batch is so damn good I know I am going to want another batch around soon.  Just have to get done with some school stuff and free up some time to brew.

Have had a few glasses of the IIPA, oh, I am in heaven!  I'd like to shoot for a little bit dryer next time, but it is really damn good.

Oh yeah, I've got the stuff for my first two batches of wine as well, just need a bucket, going to do a blackberry wine and then do a wine with the grapes I harvested from the back yard, four gallon bags filled and in the freezer until it's time.

I will be done with school and brewing like crazy pretty soon, I can't wait!
well, got the major final out of the way yesterday, so although I am home home getting ready for the others, I'm taking a little time this morning to stir up another batch of the black cherry cyser I made in the spring, turned out pretty nice, so I figured it was time for a 2 gal batch.

If I went exactly like before, it would be this:
black cherry: OG 1.122
3 qt cider
2 qt cherry juice
4 lbs honey
ale yeast

however, that leaves me with leftover cider, so it might be 4qt cider instead of three
Whew, college is complete, now its time to brew. 
A nice clone of Great Divide's Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout should hit the spot nicely.

-Used 10 gallons for mash/sparge
-Collected ~ 8.5 gallons, boiled somewhere between 90-120 min down to 5 gallons; starting gravity 1.082
-Took a second running with 3 additional gallons with OG ~1.050 pre-boil; added 1oz glacier pellet hops 6.0aa (60min), boiled for 60 min and pitched some Cooper's dried ale yeast.

The clone works at 65% efficiency, which I thought I would get better than.  I should have had the full amount in there or sparged with the extra 3 gallons and done an extra long boil.  Anyway, ended up with two beers instead of one.  I will probably add 1 lb corn sugar to bump up the gravity a bit since I missed that target, but still have a really big stout with a lot of IBU's.

Both have been bubbling away, and I have 2 oz toasted American oak cubes for the secondary.  

Yeti Imperial Stout Clone
All Grain Recipe
Batch Size: 5 gallon
OG = 1.090 FG = 1.018
IBU = 75 SRM = 98 ABV = 9.3%

clone recipe                                                 
15.25 lb American 2-row malt
1.00 lb Crystal malt (120L)
12 oz Chocolate malt
12 oz Black Patent malt
10 oz roasted barley
8 oz flaked wheat
8 oz flaked rye
1.0 oz Chinook hops (13aa) 60 min
0.5 oz Chinook hops (13aa) 30 min
0.5 oz Centenial hops (10.5aa) 15 min
0.5 oz Centenial hops (10.5aa) 5 min
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) -OR- WhiteLabs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast
1 cup corn sugar (for priming)

what I did
14.00 lb American 2-row malt
.5 lb Crystal malt (40L)
8 oz Chocolate malt
8 oz Black Patent malt
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz flaked wheat
8 oz flaked rye
1.0 oz Columbus hops (12aa) 60 min
2.0 oz Centenial leaf hops (8.5aa) 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade hops (6.0aa) 5 min
WhiteLabs WLP099 (Super High Gravity) yeast (800 ml starter)

Step Name Start Temp Stop Temp Infuse Temp Infuse Amount Water-Grain Ratio
one                 70 °F           122 °F         130.0 °F       9.8 qts                    0.55
two               122 °F           140 °F         200.0 °F       5.0 qts                    1.00
three             140 °F           158 °F         200.0 °F       9.2 qts                    1.52
sparge           158 °F           180 °F         200.0 °F     12.0 qts

Well it was a tough task, but I drank enough beer to save up about 70 bottles to bottle up my Oak Aged English Barleywine.  I'm soaking them now in Oxyclean and cold crashing the keg out in the snow.  I will rack the beer off of the Phoenix dry hops and cold crash again, then bottle this week with fresh yeast.

Also, I tapped the keg of Toasted Glacier Ale this week, god damn, I would have to say that it's my best brew yet.  Everyone who has tried it loves it and I'm gonna have to brew up another batch real fast because I don't think this one is going to last too long.