StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mark Wrote:
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I'm not an expert & don't know the "proper" way to pour it, but it had at least a 3 inch head on it!! Thick & creamy!!

Hold your glass at a 45* angle and start the pour, once the glass is filled 1/2 way tilt the glass upright and finish the pour down the center of the beer.  You usually look for about a "2 finger" head.

Sounds like the carbonation came out fine though which is good.
I'll try it again tomorrow & take pics!! I thought it was GREAT!!
It was unfiltered, so the first few days out of the keg was pretty cloudy, but it has cleared up, how does the bottle pour?
Gonna have to try some brewing out next year, just sounds too good to not try.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:I had a nice cold bottle of Mahk's today, the beer was great 

could not agree more.  Just had my first bottle the other day.  A great IPA with a good amber color, great hop presentation, and good sweetness and malt backbone to even things out. 

Well done Mahk.

I have a new batch brewing at the moment, my first batch of mead.  A lot easier to set the batch than beer, but a lot longer to wait impatiently.  I am thinking around spring time I will be drinking this one.  Primary is going great, and I am trying to keep better tabs on temperature, as I tend to be on the high side, if you know what I mean (couldn't resist). 
Thanks for the compliments guys, makes the whole breday worth while.  Can't wait to do the next batch, my be next weekend.
Mark Wrote:Thanks for the compliments guys, makes the whole breday worth while.  Can't wait to do the next batch, my be next weekend.
it's like sex.  You go so many years of life without it, but only because you didn't know how good it is, then once you get the first taste, hooked for life.
those there are wise words...
Once again, struggling to make time, but I have everythign for an IPA batch, and have extra hops for doing an extract IPA after that with the yeast left over from the first one.  If I had a brew store nearby it'd be different, but this should work out fine as an extract brew, so many damn hops a little residual sweetness won't hurt anything. 

The mead has been actively fermenting all the while.  I bought a turkey baster so I can steal a little out of the fermentor and see how the gravity is doing.  Even though I forgot to measure the OG, I calculated it to be roughly 1.070, and shooting for a final gravity of around 1.010, as honey is very fermentable. 

I have gradually become more aware of how off my temperatures have been in the past, so I actually have it set up so that the air conditioning blows right into a space for the fermentor, and is allowed to escape from there.  The fermentor has been reading 65 pretty much the whole time, which has been my goal.

So 2 IPA's then I plan on doing a chocolate rasberry stout. 
beware.

the gnome will ferment anything in its path.

great continuing work, buddy. Big Grin
2 IPA's Gnome!  Very nice!

I just tapped my keg of IPA, so it looks like I need to get started on that Dunkelwiezen.  I should have had it in the fermenter already, that way I could have had it in the keg sooner.