StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That is a ton of sugar on top of the grain bill.  What was your OG & FG?
you're looking at approximately OG 1.045 and FG 1.011.  It's not a real big beer, and only has 4 lbs of extract syrup, along with less than 1 lb of specialty grain and 3 lbs adjunct.  Looking back on it, I don't know what is supposed to be so great about this beer. 
OH I am so weak.....  I just ordered 3 more rhizomes.  another centennial (b/c I don't think the one I have is gonna make it), and then one Kent Goldings and One Magnum.

If they all grow, I should be able to do a batch of beer solely from my own hops this year.

Mark, on the other hand, should be able to make a batch of beer with his hops, but this batch will be large enough to get all the homeless people in Boston drunk.  Big Grin
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:Mark, on the other hand, should be able to make a batch of beer with his hops, but this batch will be large enough to get all the homeless people in Boston drunk.  Big Grin

LOL!!!!

But mine are all first year, so I'm not expecting much if any yeild from them.  Did you get any out of your first years?
keep in mind that I live in GA, and the growing season down here is a lot longer, but yeah, I had an ounce of dried hops at the end of the season and used em to dry hop an IPA sometime around september, I loved it. 

I actually have to focus on not getting the plants TOO MUCH light here, so I plant on the east side of the house, which gives all the morning and early afternoon light, and none of the late day sun that is really draining on plants down here. 
I hope I can get enough yeild so I can do a "Wet Hopped" IPA.
you've got potential for it.  16 plants, thinking conservatively, if 1/2 your plants yield 1/2 of an ounce (which after drying figure is around 40 cones), then you still have 4 oz of hops, which, for normal people, can make an IPA.  Now, you could do the rest of the beer with purchased hops, and then use your own for the wet hops, 4 oz seems about your style for that, right. Big Grin
YES!!!!  HOUSTON, WE HAVE A SPROUT!!

The Centennial sprouted overnight, I am stoked.  the willamette is growing more than 1/2 inch a day, this is getting nuts.  I won't have time to plant before next week, it'll be almost a foot by then!

the other rhizomes should arrive over the weekend, and I can plant these forst, and then prep the others ove rthe next few weeks. 
Mine have been in the ground only since late Sun night and already most of my Magnum have sprouts.  I pulled back the mulch on the others and they have tiny sprouts, but they have not broke through the mulch yet, just the dirt.
I think the magnum might be the one I'm most excited about.  I've used all the others I think, but never used magnum.  The willamette is growin fast, I know I won't have time to put them in the ground until sun-mon, but damn, this puppy is really chuggin along.