Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van Riemsdyk - future Flyers star
Pete Wrote:     You're boy is playing again tonight... NHL Network.  He's getting Power Play time, too!
Keep me posted please..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
     The Flyers cut/re-assigned 29 players today.  JVR was not one of them! [thumbsup]

He's making a case for himself, too.  Just scored his second goal in preseason vs. Detroit about two minutes ago.
Pete Wrote:     The Flyers cut/re-assigned 29 players today.  JVR was not one of them! [thumbsup]

He's making a case for himself, too.  Just scored his second goal in preseason vs. Detroit about two minutes ago.

Watching it tonight too.  Even though it's preseason it's good to get Hockey going again.  JVR looks good and the Flyer's broadcast team are pretty high on him making the team.

What would it take for us to get a road trip to Bahston for the New Year's day game...Mahk...Keith...Tommy? 
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Headley Wrote:Watching it tonight too.

:X  I'm stuck listening to it on WIP.  They're showing the Phils vs. Marlins locally.  :X

*EDIT* - 8:54pm, add another goal!
Pete, I haven't seen JVR play in pre season. What's the difference from a few months ago?
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
     I really can't begin to make an assessment, Jimmie.  Unfortunately, it seems his best preseason performances were during the games I was only able to follow via radio broadcast.  I saw the NHL Network game last Thursday, but it was probably the worst performance for the team as a whole.  I was surprised to see him getting time on the power play, but then again playing the PP in preseason doesn't necessarily mean you'll see much time there once the season begins. 

I will say this - I'm happy for him in how he made it past the first phase of cuts, then put in two goals the same night!
wow i hope to see him do well this season jim [thumbsup]
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
As per The Philadelphia Inquirer this morning...

"If the Flyers keep 13 forwards, that would leave two players battling for one spot: van Riemsdyk and Pyorala. (The Flyers could carry 14 forwards, but because of salary-cap issues, that's unlikely.)"
What's your opinion Pete? Is he better off playing full time in the minors?
Honorary Shield Brother
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:What's your opinion Pete? Is he better off playing full time in the minors?
     I don't see how more "seasoning" in the AHL helps JVR's skill development.  His game is there.  He skates well for his size, and you can tell he's got NHL-caliber hands.  My only concern right now is with his physical game, i.e. giving/taking hits from the biggest/fastest guys in hockey.  I'm not sure if it's a lack of confidence (only natural at his age) or if he could use a few more pounds - both of which will come in time.  He IS going to be successful at the NHL level.  

The Flyers' front office really have their hands full in making a selection between JVR and Mika Pyorala (who just scored the overtime winner).  They've both found successful in the preseason.  However, If I'm a coach or GM, Pyorala gets the nod.  The 82-game schedule is tougher for the younger guys, and this season's schedule is more grueling for ALL teams due to the Olympic break.  JVR will get the first injury call-up at forward this season, and may not go back down, depending on the situation.  That's my opinion/guess/prediction.