Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van Riemsdyk - future Flyers star
Anxiously waiting for a report Pete.

I hope he is making the adjustment to the pro level.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
      I have been keeping an eye on the Box Scores since JVR has been with the Phantoms.  He's yet to earn his first point at the professional level, so I'm hoping he'll put one in tonight.  They've been shifting him on the third line with Jonathan Kalinski, another 1st year, ex-college player. 
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:Anxiously waiting for a report Pete.

I hope he is making the adjustment to the pro level.
     Just got back from the game a little while ago.  First thing you notice about van Riemsdyk: he's BIG!  Granted, I knew he was a big kid, but to see him in person among his team, he's got to be 6'4" (without looking up his stats).  When he fills out a bit, he could be a real beast. 

For his size, he has good speed.  I think with some work on his stride, he could become even quicker.  However, I noticed him in one situation where he might've been better off skating backwards into his own zone, and instead he turned on the play to skate forward.  I can't help but wonder if he's not that fast skating backwards, or if he's simply not confident enough to do it just yet.  Regardless... it will come.   

I read some reports on a Flyers message board stating James van Riemsdyk looked "out of place", or "needed to get his legs under him at the AHL-level".  I honestly didn't find that to be true this evening in Hershey, and obviously his coaches share my opinion.  He gets a LOT of ice time.  He played on the top Power Play unit, and they shifted him at the end of the game during a 6-on-4 (goalie pulled, Philly on the PP).  

JVR definitely has something.  I don't expect him to be a flashy, sniper-type shooter or anything, then again I don't know that it's been his role growing up, either.  He's likely going to be a Mike Knuble-type player - Solid on both ends of the ice, and good at parking himself in front of the net, using the big body to set the screen, and cleaning up the rebounds or making deflections.  He'll get points, and the bigger he gets, the more success I see for him in that role. 

Unfortunately, he did not score this evening (Hershey won, 3-2). 
Thanks for the update Pete. Sounds like he has the potential to make it the next level. We just need to have a little patience so he can make the adjustment.  
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
     I agree, Jimmie.  I don't expect him up this post season unless there are a few injuries.  He needs time... and it's surprising how quickly some of these kids come around.  Claude Giroux, now with the Flyers, is a prime example.  In this season's training camp, Giroux was expected to be a sure thing with the Flyers.  He had a poor showing in camp, and ended up playing half this season with the Phantoms.  Nowadays, he's proving to be the player everyone is expecting him to be, and has become a key player going into ther post-season. 

After seeing him play, I'm more confident than ever that James van Riemsdyk WILL become an NHL-level power forward. 
Tough game with the Rangers a little while ago.
Honorary Shield Brother
     Yeah.  I didn't get to see it, as it was on CN8 (or whatever it is called now).  I no longer have the NHL Center Ice package, as I changed subscribers when I moved into the new house.  It wasn't on Comcast Sportsnet, so I had to resort to following the game on the radio. 

I would've liked the win for home ice facing Pittsburgh in the First Round, too.  Oh, well... it's the playoffs - like an entirely new season from here on out. 

[winner]LET'S GO, FLYERS!!![winner] 
     James vanRiemsdyk just scored his first NHL goal a couple minutes ago.  Granted, it's still preseason (vs. Detroit), but a big step for a guy trying to make the big club. 

[bravo]
Pete Wrote:     James vanRiemsdyk just scored his first NHL goal a couple minutes ago.  Granted, it's still preseason (vs. Detroit), but a big step for a guy trying to make the big club. 

[bravo]
Thanks Pete, big news indeed. Saw his mom in town the other day. Exciting moments for the family.
Honorary Shield Brother
     You're boy is playing again tonight... NHL Network.  He's getting Power Play time, too!