Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Cell phone ban while driving?
(12-16-2011, 12:49 AM)MikeD Wrote: Just ask anyone who lost someone in a car accident due to a driver that was distracted while they were using their cell phone in some manner why this policy needs to be instituted nationwide.

I agree 100%

Its already banned here in Mass.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
First: Ban anything except hands-free if they ban blue tooth, will they ban talking to the person in the passenger seat too? I've seen too many idiots texting or talking while driving. I really don't care if they harm themselves, but odds are they will hurt or kill some innocent person.

2nd: I agree you cannot give the feds anymore extra powers. Also, locals can abuse the laws too. If you know about what we have to go through here in Nassau county, NY or Suffolk county, NY, or NYC just to exercise your 2nd amendment rights....than you'd understand my feelings. I could go into great detail here, but that's for a different thread & I don't want to hijack this one.

C: ENFORCE the law!! AFAIK, in NYS, you are only given a ticket for distracted driving if you are pulled over first for something like speeding (I could be wrong on this though), unless it is during a specific crackdown. I think NYC did one either earlier this year, or last year.

I never answer my phone or a text while driving..I'll pull over & park if I think it's that important or wait until I reach my destination. The only times I've ever used my phone while driving was when I witnessed an obviously drunk driver cause several accidents & keep going. I was on the phone with 911 only long enough to give his description, plate # and which way he was headed so they could intercept him.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
hi guys. Sorry I've been away for a while. Had some surgery to my knee to fix the ACL and Meniscus.

Now that all said....

Look along the lines of others here, I am vehemently against giving big brother any more power over us. But by the same token since people dont want to take any personal responsibility for their actions, then a law or two needs to be enacted that is actually enforced. I dont want to pretend like my idea here is completely fleshed out but it should give some idea of what needs to happen.

There needs to be a law nationally enacted and enforced involving TEXTING while driving. Said law should have to have unequivocal proof (which is easily obtainable by logs from the cell phone companies) that shows the time of the texting. Once that burden of proof has been met, the offender is fined $5,000.00 USD fine, and their driving permissions are revoked until the fine is paid. If their texting caused an accident, that fine is raised to $25,000.00 dollars and their driving license is revoked for life. If there is a second offense, then their fine is $25,000.00 and loss of license permanently, and a minimum incarceration of 5 years no parole (to be begun as soon as their fine is paid)
One third of the fine goes to the local law enforcement agency that cited the fine. Another one third of the fine goes to a national fund used to help the familys and victims of people hurt or killed due to texting accidents. the remaining third can be earmarked for some charity that someone can set up, or something else that would be important.

I know it would never happen. Too many politicians want to get their fingers in the money. But the idea is sound.

Peace.
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
it should be a state law and yes i agree. don't text unless you're at a stop light.
I agree with much (if not all) of what has been said here. I get angry when I see someone texting while driving...I admit I was one of them until about 6 mos ago. My wife and I promised each other we would never do it again. Too risky. I have drifted out of my lane and if circumstances/conditions were different, the results may have also been drastically different. I love my family too much to risk everything over a text message...and for those out there that don't care enough about themselves...or don't have a family...Boo F'n HOO...don't you dare risk the safety of the rest of us - it is not a matter of personal choice. A rational mind wouldn't come up with such BS - this is not about riding your motorcycle without a helmet. It's more like driving under the influence...hell, it IS driving under the influence..driving under the influence of technology!
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
Can I eat a hoho while driving?
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(12-18-2011, 07:06 PM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: Can I eat a hoho while driving?

don't even get me started on hohos while driving!! Confused
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
I gotta quit risking the live's of other's with all those road hummers I get!
Interesting read for both sides of the argument to read!

http://news.investors.com/Article/595126...ne-ban.htm