StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Thoughts on Cell phone ban while driving?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I had no idea there were 35 states that banned texting already. Then again I don't text at all. A nation wide ban would be ugly.
Great news video non the less.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000062190

US_Tank

I am about personal freedoms. And at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite this is one ban that needs to be implemented. I ran my company car into a curb with $800 in wheel damage by missing my turn while texting. This was last winter. I no longer text and drive. I see friends who text and drive with me in the passenger seat and I see their driving ability take a 40% downturn. I still talk and drive but very rarely and usually on a desolate ND interstate.
Just ask anyone who lost someone in a car accident due to a driver that was distracted while they were using their cell phone in some manner why this policy needs to be instituted nationwide.
texting is banned here. Trouble is enforcing it.
I see lots of women texting (its not sexist if its true Tongue) And frankly teen girls driving scares the piss out of me as is with them weaving in and out of traffic and some sort of idea that they have a right to go as fast as they want. Add in texting and its not good.
Already banned in Washington. You can only use your phone if you have a hands free device. I am all for it. I know my driving goes to sh!t when I am screwing around with my phone. I put it on speaker if I need to make a call.

None of us are so important that a call or text cant wait until we can stop the car.
Already banned in California as well, except for hands free. I am the idiot who totalled his truck earlier this year by messing around with my cell phone (not texting, but trying to silence the navigation voice...just as bad). I am all for the ban. Now my hands are on the wheel and eyes on the road.
I dont want to see a Federal ban (I dont believe in the Federal Gov. banning things), but I do think that if states want to ban it they should.

Enforcement has been an issue here in California. Everyone I know still text's and drives. I never did, and I never will. Honestly, there's nothing that important that it can't wait until i stop.
In NY we had cell phone laws while driving so most people weren't too bad (still bad) because they were afraid they were gonna get caught so they somewhat paid attention but being down here in Florida people on the phones are horrid they lounge around on the phone while driving like they were hanging out on the couch. All you see down here are teenage girls looking down at their phones while driving around here. It really is frightening. While I'm not a fan of the feds telling us what we can do as a motorcyclist I would love to see it.
When I hear about the feds wanting a total cell phone ban in vehicles, all I can think of is what's next? Sure, every time I see someone texting and driving (usually weaving into my lane) I honk at them and get as close as I can to em.
We have them in Ohio too. I'm for and against it.

1) For it because its so dangerous, and I've seen friends get in accidents because they were texting. One friend is lucky to be alive (flipped her car three times).

2) I'm against it because: With the ban, people will still text while driving, only this time instead of holding the phone where they can see it AND the road (still not safe), they hold it down in their laps and have to take their eyes completely off the road, look down, and text... causing even MORE trouble.
Pages: 1 2 3