Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:
PO Wrote:
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:I'll give you guys one thing for sure, you're consistant w/ the keg thing.  If I was drinking it all, I would, hands down.  But most of each batch leaves this house to be consumed elsewhere, so bottling makes more sense for that, to me. 

Back to the drawing board, I was looking over that brown ale recipe this morning, I still think I would like to do it again.
Ok than here is what you do, double the batch, keg half and than bottle half. Big Grin
sounds pretty good, now I just need to find 1.5 gal keg, and a refridgerating device to store it in.
no need for a fridge until your ready to use it.  You can store it in your garage or closet in the house until you find a small fridge to put it in.Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
there was an article on some quick turn-around beers in this edition of BYO magazine.  I am thinking about possibly doing one of these, as it would be nice to rebuild and have some homebrew again, not to mention the boost I could use of having a batch turn out good.  I post a little more on that after rereading the article.
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:there was an article on some quick turn-around beers in this edition of BYO magazine.  I am thinking about possibly doing one of these, as it would be nice to rebuild and have some homebrew again, not to mention the boost I could use of having a batch turn out good.  I post a little more on that after rereading the article.
Which article, I don't have my mag with me but I'll look it up when I get home tonight.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
[Image: attachment.php?id=135]Old Sneaker Bitter (OSB).5 lbs. 120°L Crystal Malt3.3 lbs. John Bull amber malt extract syrup2 lbs. Muton's amber dry malt extract (reserve 1.25 cups).25 oz. Chinook hop pellets1.5 oz. Willamette hop pellets1.5 oz. Kent Golding hop pelletssmall Wyeast "smack pack" 1098 British[Image: attachment.php?id=137]Steept crystal malt in 1.5 gals water, when boil was reached, I removed the crystal malt.[Image: attachment.php?id=138]Added John Bull & Muton extracts (minus 1.25 cups of the dry, reserved for bottling).[Image: attachment.php?id=139]Added .25 oz. Chinook hops, .5 oz. Willamette hops, .5 oz. Kent Golding hops.30 mins. later added .5 oz. Willamette, .25 oz. Golding.15 mins. later added .25 oz. Willamette, .25 oz. Golding.Last 2 mins. added .5 oz. Golding, .25 oz. Willamette.[Image: attachment.php?id=140]Sparged into 2 gals. cool water and filled to 5 gals. Specific Gravity 1.040. Pitched yeast at 70°F[Image: attachment.php?id=136]After 2 days of anxious waiting, I began to see signs of fermentation in the airlock. The next day fermentation was very active. 3 days later I decided it was time to rack the brew to the carboy.[Image: attachment.php?id=141] [Image: attachment.php?id=142]The specific gravity was 1.010.[Image: attachment.php?id=143]A few days later I bottled the beer (sorry no pics of the bottling...not sure what my wife did with our digi camera which the pics are still on). I thought I took another hydrometer reading when I bottled, but I guess I didn't take note of it—maybe I'll take another next time I pop an OSB.
Roth, that just brings tears to my eyes!!!  Absolutely beautiful!!!Tongue  Sounds like it turned out good for you.
Thanks, PO. Look for my review in the Beer Reviews thread in an hour or two.
Rothschild Wrote:Thanks, PO. Look for my review in the Beer Reviews thread in an hour or two.
I will, and can't wait to read it.  And by the way that is a kick a$$ label you have!!! Big Grin
PO Wrote:
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:there was an article on some quick turn-around beers in this edition of BYO magazine.  I am thinking about possibly doing one of these, as it would be nice to rebuild and have some homebrew again, not to mention the boost I could use of having a batch turn out good.  I post a little more on that after rereading the article.
Which article, I don't have my mag with me but I'll look it up when I get home tonight.
pg 42, I scanned it last night so I could post the set up in here, looks like a prettyy good brew, I'm interested to see how it works.
Thanks LC, I look at it when I get home tonight.Tongue
Bonneville Flats Bitter

(I typed this up, so some things that didn't seem relevent were left out, and somethings that I may not actually do are typed)

0.5 lb Briess light dried malt extract

3.3 lbs Alexander’s pale liquid malt extract

0.5 lb Corn sugar

1.5 lbs 2-row pale ale malt

0.25 lb Crystal malt (30 L)

0.25 lb Crystal malt (40 L)

1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

1/8 tsp Yeast nutrients (15 min)

6.4 AAU First Gold Hops (.8 oz 8% Alpha) (45 min)

2.0 AAU First Gold Hops (.75 oz 8% Alpha) (15 min)

.75 oz First Gold Hops (0 min)

2 pkg Nottingham dried yeast (rehydrated)

0.75 C Corn sugar for priming

Steep grains in 2.0 Qts of water @ 158E-160E F for 30 minutes, then rinse with 1 Qt of 170E F

Add dried malt extract, corn sugar, and water to make 2.0 gallons of wort and bring to a boil. Once initial foaming subsides, add bittering hops and boil for 45 min.

Add boiling water to keep volume above 2.0 Gallons as needed. With 15 min left in boil, turn off heat and add liquid malt extract, Irish moss,and flavor hops. Stir until extract is dissolved, then resume heating.

Add aroma hops at end of boil. Cool and then let sit for 15 minutes (***covered to avoid contamination)

combine wort w/ enough water to make 5 gallons, pitch yeast at appropriate temp.

Let ferment @ 72EF for 3 days, or until complete. (You should not taste diacetyl). Rack to keg or bottling bucket, refrigerate after 5-6 days of keeping warm (74-80EF). Serve after 2-3 days.

[line]

so, I don't think I intend to steep grains in such a small ammount of water, unless someone can maybe explain to me why that might actually be a good idea.  Also, I think will try to keep the level during the boil closer to 3 gallons, instead of 2, just trying to work on bigger and better worts.  Other than that, looks like a pretty good set up, and when I rack over and bottle, I will also do the boil for the brown ale I did before, and just use the yeast slurry at the bottom from this present batch-  I may need some guidance as to how much to use, since I am using two packets of dried yeast for the quick turnaround beer. 

Here's  the brown ale:

Old Coot Strong Brown Ale by

Sal Emma (5 gallons)

"I racked this to secondary after six days and bottled it 10 days later. It was excellent. The
malto-dextrin gave it just a hint of sweetness without being syrupy, and it had excellent
body. The demerara provided extra alcohol and the molasses gave it a unique warm and cozy feeling. I was trying to copy Old Peculier but was unsuccessful. Old Coot is a really tasty and satisfying strong brown."

Ingredients:

8 oz. roasted barley
4 oz. British crystal malt (60 L)
3.3 lbs. dark liquid extract, unhopped

1 lb dark powder extract
2 lbs. Brown sugar
1 cup black strap molasses
1/2 lb. malto-dextrin
2 oz. Norther Brewer
http://www.northernbrewer.com pellets (7% alpha)
2 oz. Fuggles pellets (4.5% alpha)

.5 oz Cascade pellets
1 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs London Ale yeast

Step by Step:
Two to three days before brewing, activate yeast and make a starter. On brew day crush the grains, wrap them in a straining bag, and steep them in the brew pot, keeping the water
around 160
E F for 30 minutes.

Remove the grains, let them drain into the brewpot, and discard. Bring liquid to a boil,
remove from heat, and add malt extract. Stir well. Return to boil. Add sugar and
malto-dextrin and stir well. Return to boil. Add Northern Brewer
http://www.northernbrewer.comhops and 0.5 oz. Fuggles and boil 45 minutes. Add 1.5 oz. Fuggles and Irish moss and boil 13 minutes more. Add .5 oz Cascade pellets and boil 2 minutes more. Cool, rack to fermenter, and pitch starter.

OG = 1.046