Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidor questions
So with new cigars coming in, we need more storage space. I have seen the coolador projects, and that is neat, but the... sheer functionality does not match my preferred aesthetics and at best is a temporary measure.

Now we have a china cabinet, the back would need to be stabilized, but it is 5 shelves with glass front display. If we lined the shelves in cedar and fixed the back do you think we could turn that into a humidor?

My next question is about making humidors out of wine fridges.

If most of you do not plug yours in, would finding any non-working wine fridge work then? I imagine one could pick up a broken one cheaply...

Thanks for all of your patience with my questions.
Also - I have a cedar chest I got from friends years ago. It is cedar like you store clothes in. Spoke to Odsman about it and he said that it is not the right kind of cedar, and that it will make the cigars taste icky.

My question is - if we seal the regular cedar with polyurithane and line it with Spanish Cedar, will it work? That would be one nice looking humidor, and since I practice Pyrography, I could decorate it beautifully.
I am big fan of wine fridges both of mine have come out great and were fun projects. I also like that if I meed to I can plug them in and have climate control as well as humidity control.

Pretty much make most things into a humidor assuming that the materials will not mess with your cigars and that you can get a decent seal out of it. It does not need to be air tight in fact you do not want air tight.

I would stay away from the American cedar chest just sounds like to many possible issues.

If you decide to go with wine fridge style and you do not need temp control then there is no need for a working one.

I can pretty much answer any question you might have about converting a wine fridge if you decide to go that way let me know.
--Mike
Thanks!
(06-08-2012, 03:25 PM)wtfdic Wrote: I am big fan of wine fridges both of mine have come out great and were fun projects. I also like that if I meed to I can plug them in and have climate control as well as humidity control.

Pretty much make most things into a humidor assuming that the materials will not mess with your cigars and that you can get a decent seal out of it. It does not need to be air tight in fact you do not want air tight.

I would stay away from the American cedar chest just sounds like to many possible issues.

If you decide to go with wine fridge style and you do not need temp control then there is no need for a working one.

I can pretty much answer any question you might have about converting a wine fridge if you decide to go that way let me know.

+1
Well said!
Couldn't agree more, I love my wine fridgeador!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
So would the china cabinet not work at all?
(06-08-2012, 05:35 PM)TheValKitty Wrote: So would the china cabinet not work at all?

Can you post a pic of it?

You would need to line the back with cedar and put in a good humification system. How does the door close? Could you make it air tight?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Here you find good humidors inexpensive
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/?utm_source...midorsOnly

I love coolers i have 3 now and there a 100% seal never have issues with them
Jam: I saw that site, but I don't want to keep buying smaller humidors, and cannot afford the cabinets. I don't have a TON of cigars, but between Odsman and I we already have 3 humidors full and 100 or so cigars on the way.

I can make a coolerdor for now, but aesthetically I would like something attractive for the house, and a cooler is just not quite what I want sitting around our library - maybe it is just me being girly about it.

The idea of taking a piece of furniture I already have and modifying it to be more useful to me is appealing, seeing as the china cabinet is already in the room, and is holding our humidors anyways. My thought was to store loose cigars in empty cigar boxes, use the gel/bead humidifiers with some rigged computer or battery operated fans.

Jimmie the Mum: I am working on loading a picture now, will post momentarily. It is not exactly airtight, but I thought you didn't want it airtight according to a couple posts I have seen - but I just don't know enough. I imagine we could make it air tight with weather stripping fairly easily.
This is the china cabinet.

[Image: 196040_241602082617344_92356071_n.jpg]