Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidor questions
You may be able to work with that and it looks like it would be a nice piece when finished. You should know before starting this project however that solid Spanish cedar is not cheap and I highly reckoned staying away from cedar plywood to many problems with it not handling humidity well over time...basically it falls apart.

Also solid Spanish cedar does not come in very wide widths I guess cedar trees are not very big they are actually more like bushes. So if you meed width there will be joining involved.
--Mike
From looking at an interesting cooler project I saw, I was actually thinking of joining together cigar box pieces for the cedar on the back. I know the piece itself can stand up to humidity - it survived being near the gulf coast in non-climate controlled space for a long time. Will whatever wood the shelves are made of be an issue to the cigars, if I store them within cigar boxes?

I know the back needs replacing as is it was not made with very thick wood and has aged poorly. I was thinking of using some hard wood for the back, then lining it with cedar from cigar boxes, like I said. What else do you think would need to be done with it?
Love the curve glass.
Here's a pic of mine. It belonged to my grandmother and I completely re-did it.

[Image: 2012-06-09_08-37-56_642.jpg]

As you can see, my wife took it over.

You bring up an interesting point regarding converting this to a humidor. I think the most important part is the sealed (making it air tight) and your humidification system.
After all, if you convert a cooler, many people don't line the cooler with cedar. They wash it / air it out etc but many don't line it with cedar.

I'm not saying you should do that but my point is you might not have to overboard with in converting the china cabinet to a humidor. If I did mine, I wouldn't worry about the shelves but I would line the back with Spanish cedar and make sure the door closed correctly.

It would interesting to read what Skipper has to say on the subject.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
When you make a list of all the parts wouldn't be almost the same as buying an Antietam?
http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/Produc...id=HUM-BH3

True Marcelo but that's not the point..
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
I am 90% sure I can convert it for less than $100.

If it is feasible to convert. The door closes tightly, locks with a key. Might add weather stripping to make sure. I assume I would need a fan or two.
The next question is; what type of system will you use to humidify it?
Honorary Shield Brother
(06-09-2012, 10:46 AM)TheValKitty Wrote: I am 90% sure I can convert it for less than $100.

If it is feasible to convert. The door closes tightly, locks with a key. Might add weather stripping to make sure. I assume I would need a fan or two.

You could easily add a foam tape to around the outside of the door to ensure you have a good seal.

Remember you do not meed air tight just enough to help hold in some humidity. Spanish cedar on the back will be good and should be enough to help regulate humidity.

Again very cool project. I have actually been looking for a year or so mow for an antique humidor to restore.
--Mike
Also with the size of it I would recommend going with some type of active humidification.
--Mike
I have a 700 stick Humi with a single door that has glass i had to caulk the glass put door magnets weather stripping and so far so good but the coolers break old boxes for the cedar wash it leave it open and your done