Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Complete Bliss of Homebrewing
(01-08-2010, 04:36 AM)SenorSmoke Wrote: Grant how have you been bro? Jump in the car with the Atlanta crew and get your butt to Pensacola.

Matt told me you all were getting together, and I hate missing out on that. Hopefully soon.

I have taken a step back from All grain for a minute while time is not very giving right now. I brewed up a Belgian pale ale a few weeks ago, now in secondary and still seems to be chuggin along. tasted pretty nice after primary.

Presently my new project is turning a 14.4 CuFt chest freezer I just got into a beautiful dream kegerator. I got rid of the old fridge and slowly over the next few weeks/months will be making the changes to this bad boy. first priority is temp control, then later I'll start worrying about adding the collar and running taps out of it and so forth. It looks like it could hold 4-6 kegs no prob, so I'm hoping to have beers and sodas on tap at all times with this.

I saw NB has a dead guy ale clone recipe kit with the pac man yeast. With all the hype around that, I'd love to do that kit and then transfer the yeast cake to another batch and get some good use out of it.
Well, I've decided. I need to learn how to homebrew some righteous beer. Might be some time before I actually get a batch bubbling, but that's okay; I've made my mind up. Now starts the long, expensive, obsessive/compulsive journey of equipment accumulation and skill acquisition.

However, in the independent spirit of all homebrewers, I have decided to make this thread a sticky. Yes, it feels good to indiscriminately exercise a little moderatorial power. The rest of you will just have to live with it!

I'll be reviewing all previous pages on this sucker, 'cause I know we have some homebrew masters in the house. So, let's get posting! This should be the hop season, right? Tell us what you're brewing up at the moment...
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
(06-05-2010, 05:09 PM)B-Dub Cigar Ambassador Wrote: Well, I've decided. I need to learn how to homebrew some righteous beer. Might be some time before I actually get a batch bubbling, but that's okay; I've made my mind up. Now starts the long, expensive, obsessive/compulsive journey of equipment accumulation and skill acquisition.

However, in the independent spirit of all homebrewers, I have decided to make this thread a sticky. Yes, it feels good to indiscriminately exercise a little moderatorial power. The rest of you will just have to live with it!

I'll be reviewing all previous pages on this sucker, 'cause I know we have some homebrew masters in the house. So, let's get posting! This should be the hop season, right? Tell us what you're brewing up at the moment...

Like I mentioned on FB, I have been brewing heavy lately. I have gone to an All Grain setup, that I am constantly revamping.

I have an Fat Tyre clone fermenting right now, as well as an IPA and a Golden Wheat on tap. I only have two bottles left of my BIG Belgian. I think Jimmie has a bottle....Not for everyone, but Evil Ash Steve sure likes it!

I will be doing an October Fest soon, so it will go down easy in Oct...

I have Cascades shooting up in the back yard....They prolly would produce this year, due to the crazy weather, but next year should be GREAT!

Thanks for making this a sticky!

BTW, I have built my setups with cost as a major factor. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Tim
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be giving you a holler as things progress. The beers I favor most are IPA's, Stouts, Porters, and the super strong stuff. Thick, tasty & hoppy. I am saving a lot right now which is putting a crimp on the fun budget. But I'm feeling a calling here.

Particularly, I'd like to grow my own Cascade hops. Do you know if they grow well here in Wake Forest, NC? I think we're Zone 7. Recently planted quite a few vegetables, citrus and berry plants. I'm thinking hops should like it here, too.

Mrs. Dub has given me the go-ahead starting in 2015. So, I'm stoked!
(06-05-2010, 08:17 PM)B-Dub Cigar Ambassador Wrote: Yeah, I'm sure I'll be giving you a holler as things progress. The beers I favor most are IPA's, Stouts, Porters, and the super strong stuff. Thick, tasty & hoppy. I am saving a lot right now which is putting a crimp on the fun budget. But I'm feeling a calling here.

Particularly, I'd like to grow my own Cascade hops. Do you know if they grow well here in Wake Forest, NC? I think we're Zone 7. Recently planted quite a few vegetables, citrus and berry plants. I'm thinking hops should like it here, too.

Mrs. Dub has given me the go-ahead starting in 2015. So, I'm stoked!

2015? LMAO!

Cascades, Nugget, Wilamette, etc...I believe will all grow just fine in NC.

I just made a really nice IPA. It is a bit on the mild side as far as hops go, but tons of flavor!

Are you going to start with extract, then progress to All Grain? I did, and for me it was a great experience. It got me brewing with only a
little bit of equipment, then I was able to slowly progress to All Grain.

I hardly ever bottle anymore...I love kegging!

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
Yeah, I think I'll take about the same route as you. Start out with extract, or maybe a combo, then progress to all-grain as I get better. Also, not too tickled with the idea of bottling. I want to set up a kegerator in my mancave, and keg anything I make.
When we get into our new house( which ever and when ever that happens.) I want to try to get into home brew/ home wine making!
Fear no Evil... Take action to protect those who still survive the sickness..... Commanding General of the NSCO.... The Medic
(06-06-2010, 03:26 PM)Medic443stl Wrote: When we get into our new house( which ever and when ever that happens.) I want to try to get into home brew/ home wine making!

It does not have to be done in a "home". As long as you have a spare closet/room that your fermenter can sit in, you're good to go! If you plan on doing all grain, then you may need more space. The extract kits, however, are pretty much stove top.

Do it!!!!

B Dub, you into it yet????

Huh

Quote:I saw NB has a dead guy ale clone recipe kit with the pac man yeast. With all the hype around that, I'd love to do that kit and then transfer the yeast cake to another batch and get some good use out of it.

well. I get in here when I can, just happened to go to the cigar bar on the way home from work and checking in here before going to bed. I did brew up that clone, and it turned out awesome, been working my way through the keg gradually, wouldn't mind doing that one again. hope everyone is well, baby and work still keeping me extremely busy, but all things are good on the gnome front. y'all be good.