Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One take on wrappers

Dark wrapper, strong cigar?

Maybe you have heard that the darker the wrapper, the stronger the cigar. This is both true and not true. Let me explain! It is true if the two cigars you compare are made from the same blend, have the same binder, and their wrapper have the same origin. Remember that going from the bottom to the top of a tobacco plant, leaves become darker in color and stronger in taste. But things are hardly that simple, and this is another example. If you compare a slim panatela and a Churchill, both with the same components and exactly the same wrapper, I bet you''''ll find the slim panatela stronger than the Churchill. It is not true when the two cigars have different blends and binders or the two wrappers are not of the same origin. For example, rolled on the same bunch, a light brown, Cuban seed wrapper will be stronger than an oily, dark brown, Cameroon wrapper. If you like mild or medium cigars don''''t be afraid of Maduros: these black wrappers are generally mild and sometimes sweet, compared with some brown ones.

Growing wrapper

A wrapper grower has a dream : to get perfect leaves for Premium Wrapper. As soon as he starts the operation, the dream becomes a nightmare : weather conditions, insects, fungus, viruses, all kinds of parasites are here, ready to destroy his hopes. From the time he starts setting the seed beds until the moment he picks the last leaf, it is a permanent struggle.

Curing wrappers

Once properly picked, wrapper leaves are hung up the same day in a curing barn for drying. Draining out the huge quantity of water contained in the green material can be complicated. The process has to be neither too slow, nor too fast. The barn is checked several times every day and ventilation is adjusted according to the humidity inside the barn and the outside weather conditions. If necessary, heaters are used to help the drainage.

Cigar Wrapper Characteristics

To be acceptable as wrapper, tobacco leaves must be clean, evenly colored, shiny, elastic, solid but thin, with veins drowned into the parenchyma, large and without holes. And last but not least, they must burn properly, giving ashes as white as possible. Easy, you think? No, it''s a headache to grow and process wrapper leaves! Difficult to imagine how many people have sweated before you finally smoke your premium cigar.

Open Air or Shade Grown Wrapper

Traditionally, tobacco grows in open air fields. Wrapper tobacco is a fragile material. At the end, it has to be perfect. A strong direct sun radiation can deteriorate the result. To avoid the risk, fields can be covered with clothes fixed on poles, providing an artificial light shadow. This process , associated with irrigation, allows to keep the growing under control. In some equatorian countries, thanks to a naturally cloudy sky, this expensive equipment is not necessary. Credit to Voila
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Very Nice Info LZ!  I am loving the knowlege of this place.. Im SOOO glad to be back!
Scott  
Buy From Eric at www.tbs-cigars.com
Bearded Dad Blog:
http://beardeddad.wordpress.com

Great information LZ.  All this educational cigar info is great.
¡el profesor se llama lz!
I have read that about 30% of the flavor comes from the wrapper...I am inclined to think that in some sizes, it accounts for somewhat more.
I had the unfortunate circumstance of a wrapper letting go whilst I was smoking...I took the wrapper completely off rather than fight to keep it on....the flavor was completely different and what was a very good smoke became mediocre at best..
Any thoughts on this?
[user=66]Hoot[/user] wrote: 
Quote:...I took the wrapper completely off rather than fight to keep it on....the flavor was completely different and what was a very good smoke became mediocre at best..
Any thoughts on this?
My 1st thought was:

Get a better cutter!

My 2nd thought:

I agree. The wrapper wouldn't be there if you weren't supposed to have it. The taste is the mix from all of the parts, but I've heard that the wrapper is the biggest chunk of the flavor.
Great information for a newbie
JoeBob Wrote:[user=66]Hoot[/user] wrote: 
Quote:...I took the wrapper completely off rather than fight to keep it on....the flavor was completely different and what was a very good smoke became mediocre at best..
Any thoughts on this?
My 1st thought was:

Get a better cutter!

My 2nd thought:

I agree. The wrapper wouldn't be there if you weren't supposed to have it. The taste is the mix from all of the parts, but I've heard that the wrapper is the biggest chunk of the flavor.

Joebob, you are exactly right!! and that is exactly what I did..  got a better cutter....this experience happened a few years back and I was mainly using a knife to trim the cap off. I reckon I got in a hurry and cut too much off that day, and while I ain't the sharpest knife in the dawer, I learn quick!!

Thanks LZ great info!!!!Big Grin
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
I love the darker wrappers myself but I was always a believer that the darker the wrapper the stronger the cigar and now I know that definatley is not the caseSmile