Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One take on wrappers
Great info, lz!With the panatela vs. Churchill example, would you agree that the Churchills tend to start out milder and build in strength as you smoke them?
Personally I have always viewed tobacco like fruit. The more sun and age it has, the sweeter.

I find natural wrappers bitter. I find darker wrappers more flaverful and sweeter. I think the sweetness of a cigar comes form the wrapper and the strength comes from the binder and filler so the color you see has nothing to do with the strength.

But that's just my opinion as humble as it surely is not. Tongue
I agree with you Skipper that the darker wrappers are more flavorful and sweeter.
i've smoked a cigar without a wrapper and it was alright....but the wrapper adds that last taste ur lips and tounge get when ur smoking.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Irishcelt Wrote:I agree with you Skipper that the darker wrappers are more flavorful and sweeter.
Got to agree with that statememt.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
     WOW!  Great info!!!!   Thanks!!!!!!!!!
This may sound like a stupid question but here it goes:

From what Ive picked up, the wrapper is a leaf that is the outer most part of the cigar. So I'm reading this thread and I'm wondering how you can smoke a cigar without the wrapper? I thought for a second that you guys were talking about the band or colorful little piece of paper, but realized that the band has nothing to do with the flavor. So If my question is dumb just ignore it but how would you smoke the cigar without a wrapper?
The Young Gun Wrote:This may sound like a stupid question but here it goes:

From what Ive picked up, the wrapper is a leaf that is the outer most part of the cigar. So I'm reading this thread and I'm wondering how you can smoke a cigar without the wrapper? I thought for a second that you guys were talking about the band or colorful little piece of paper, but realized that the band has nothing to do with the flavor. So If my question is dumb just ignore it but how would you smoke the cigar without a wrapper?

Sometimes the binder will be closed off enough to draw smoke through. I've heard of people smoking cigars without the wrapper, but never on purpose... I'd never take off the wrapper if I didn't have to (or unless I'm frankensteining it up)..!!

Welcome btw!
So what your saying is that the wrapper and other leaves and stuff can sometimes be loose or have a gap in which the smoke can draw through?
The Young Gun Wrote:So what your saying is that the wrapper and other leaves and stuff can sometimes be loose or have a gap in which the smoke can draw through?

To sacrifice a cigar and take it apart... 

...might be the only way to really understand what's going on.  Unroll off the wrapper. Draw on the cigar without the wrapper. Take off the binder.  Draw through the filler.  It's not complicated mang!!  You just have to hip yourself to how cigars are constructed is all.  Plenty of online tutorials! 

If I find one, I'll post a link.[thumbsup]