Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Cigar Bar with some problems
So a new cigar bar has open near my house. I been hanging out there bit and have gotten to know the owner very well.

So last night he gets out a Partagas #4 and gives it to me. Well right a way I know its fake because of the dark color. So i tell the guy that I did not think it was real. He looked like a deer in headlights. His background is he has been a cigar wholesaler for 10 years so you would think this guy would know his smokes. I do not think he is trying to sell them so this is her personal stash.

So I smoked it and I knew right away it was fake. The flavor was off and I told him that.

I like the guy so do you guys think I was wrong in telling him he is buying fakes?

I think he should deffinetly know.  And if you like the guy all the more reason to tell him he is getting screwed.
Well, since you did say you got to know him pretty well, I don't think it was wrong telling him.  I hope he took it as you looking out for him and not as an insult. 

Being a wholesaler of cigars for 10 years means he knows his NC cigars very well, but not Cubans.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
If he's bringing/storing Cuban cigars into a place of business with his name on the lease, and passing them out to regular customers, I'd say the fact that they're fakes is the least of his problems. :?

Stupidity would be the first. [lol]

We've got this character in our regular crowd who makes his living as, get this, a bathroom attendant in a strip club . . . basically this involves selling cigars, chewing gum, condoms and such at steep markup to drunks. But anyway, he goes over to a *ahem* nearby major city to buy "Cubans" and comes back here to sell them "on the downlow" to his customers . . . but they're the worst FAKES imaginable!

Yeah, this is the same guy that gave me that barber pole Fauxhiba for my birthday that I smoked and reviewed here as a joke. [lol]

One of our long time members gave him a five year old Partagas Lusi out of pity . . . told him "Here. Smoke yourself a real Cuban for a change so you'll at least know what one tastes like!"

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
I think you ought to keep in mind that he thought they were real and as such thought he was doing you something real great by sharing his contraband with you. Make sure he know how much you appreciate the gesture and maybe next time offer him a real one (especially if you have one that is the same brand as his fugazzi).
Back Yard Smokes Wrote:So a new cigar bar has open near my house. I been hanging out there bit and have gotten to know the owner very well.

So last night he gets out a Partagas #4 and gives it to me. Well right a way I know its fake because of the dark color. So i tell the guy that I did not think it was real. He looked like a deer in headlights. His background is he has been a cigar wholesaler for 10 years so you would think this guy would know his smokes. I do not think he is trying to sell them so this is her personal stash.

So I smoked it and I knew right away it was fake. The flavor was off and I told him that.

I like the guy so do you guys think I was wrong in telling him he is buying fakes?

nope.  Not at all. 

I gave him a Juan Lopez #2 the other night with about 3 years of age on it.

Also I have a few boxes of the same stuff he has so I am going to take my boxes over there for him to inspect and compare.

This guy worked for Davidoff for 10 years before opening up this cigar bar. I am shocked he is getting fake shit. He is getting his personal cigars from a Davidoff store in another country.

On a positive note for the guy the Cigar bar is a huge success. Its the first month its been open but he is killing it. I just sold my bar recently so he was asking me for some advice and I think this guy just stumbled into a little cash cow.Big Grin

I am happy for him and happy that this bar is 1/2 mile from my house.Wink
Back Yard Smokes Wrote:I gave him a Juan Lopez #2 the other night with about 3 years of age on it.

Also I have a few boxes of the same stuff he has so I am going to take my boxes over there for him to inspect and compare.

This guy worked for Davidoff for 10 years before opening up this cigar bar. I am shocked he is getting fake shit. He is getting his personal cigars from a Davidoff store in another country.

On a positive note for the guy the Cigar bar is a huge success. Its the first month its been open but he is killing it. I just sold my bar recently so he was asking me for some advice and I think this guy just stumbled into a little cash cow.Big Grin

I am happy for him and happy that this bar is 1/2 mile from my house.Wink
Now that is nice.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
wow  crazy
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
I can't speak for him but if he got them from a friend he might not really look at them closely.  I know I have a habit of taking my friends word for it......It could have also been a friend of a friend of a friend thing.......I would have thanked him for the cigar like you did and let him know politely that you see something that makes you feel that they are not real cubans.

Congrats on having a very local Cigar Bar...