Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1971 Plymouth GTX restoration in progress
I finally have the GTX in a restoration shop.  I am going to post some pictures here of the progress and answer any questions anyone may have.  Here is what we are starting with.

[Image: t.jpg]
[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: back.jpg]
[Image: 440.jpg]
[Image: ins.jpg]
[Image: ins1.jpg]

Here is the car as it was taken apart.
[Image: HPIM2197.jpg]
[Image: HPIM2202.jpg]
[Image: HPIM2198.jpg]
Here is my rusty back window section that rotted out the trunk floor - the p.o. tried to seal the leak with silicone - that is a death sentence to sheetmetal [curse]
[Image: HPIM2203.jpg]
Without glass
[Image: IMG_0061.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0062.jpg]
So far this is the biggest surprise
[Image: IMG_0057.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0058.jpg]

Here is it's current state as of 1-16-09.
[Image: IMG_0022.jpg]
Here is the repaired back window section - this was cut out of another car as these are not reproduced.  Many pieces on the car have to be cut from another car or custom fabbed for the same reason Sad.
[Image: IMG_0012.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0011.jpg]

Nice work so far mark. There are tons of parts for them now. Yearone is gonna love you.[lol]

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Looking good,you have your work CUT OUT for you.[thumbsup] are you going to"lead in" the welded seams on the sheetmetal? a dying art but well worth it.
Oh wow.  Are you doing this work yourself?

There are still lots of parts not made for this model.  I am paying a guy to do the work.  He does great work - I have seen it on other cars.  He does mostly Mopars and has connections with junkyards not open to the public for parts.  So far I have furnished all of the used sheetmetal myself though.
Great progress on the GTX!!!! it will still take a while if it is to be done right though. Keep us updated.

AC
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

looking good bro very nice[thumbsup]
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
Keep us posted as the project progresses, excited to see how she turns out  [thumbsup]