Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bead Question
I never remeber what the colors are opague color means dont spray and pure white mean what again

I have 2 times the amount of beads in a small cooler and cant get it to pass 54, the hygo has been tested
You can put a container of distilled water, like a bowl, next to the beads and let them absorb the distilled water in this way. When they have absorbed all they can remove the bowl. This method is effective but takes a while for the beads to absorb the water.

The method I use and prefer is using a spray bottle. I purchased an inexpensive spray bottle at the grocery store and filled it with distilled water. When the beads need water I just spray them until they have absorbed enough distilled water. This method will work well if you have the beads in a bag or dish.

DO NOT over hydrate the beads, over hydrating can cause the beads to leach the salts that are in the beads and will ultimately ruin their effectiveness. Allow the tube to sit for a few minutes then wipe the excess water off of the tube itself.

DO NOT SHAKE OFF THE EXCESS DISTILLED WATER FROM THE BEADS. SHAKING OFF THE BEADS WILL CAUSE THE SALTS IN THE BEADS TO LEACH OUT AND POSSIBLY STAIN ANY SURFACE THAT THE LIQUID COMES IN CONTACT WITH. ALLOW THE EXCESS TO EVAPORATE NATURALLY.

"If my beads are going white, should I add distilled water until they are all clear?"

The optimal is to have about 80% of the beads clear. Don't try to get them all clear because if you do they cannot absorb any sudden rise in humidity in your humi
No Justice, No Peace!
grabbed that from the heartfelt site
No Justice, No Peace!
good info!
--Mike
how long have you had them in there? dont rush it..sometimes it can take upwards of 5-10 days to marinate correctly

I'd like to quasi-revive this topic....at least a far as the bead question:

I asked in another thread about the kitty litter bead-like stuff...and it was the wrong thread for that question.....

I use 65% http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065-1.aspx beads (1 pound) in my Lucky Seven desktop humidor. I also have maybe a little more than 1 pound of what I believe are heartfelt beads (70%) in my coolidor. Now I am curious about the kitty litter type materials in Evonnida's post here http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-1...#pid341500 .

Does this material have an exact (or close to) a steady percentage that it releases? Does it absorb excess (when it is passed the overall percentage in the space)?
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
I believe it does not have an exact rh and that you have to go through some experimentation to get the rh you want. It should absorb excess.

I have been researching this myself.
--Mike
I'm going to have to say NO on the % values. I'm sure they don't have the same scientific values as the beads. Just look at the cost. Plus you can get different % beads.

The bottom line, it's winter and the heater is JAMMIN. It happens to everyone that does not use an active system. They just have to add a cup of water or gel beads to make up the diff.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Before I went with Humi-care style gels, I used to use silica beads tied up in a pair of pantyhose I stole from my wife. I've even used silica kitty litter in the past (not looking for an argument on cigar humidification ethics). If its opaque, give it a little mist action. You'll be fine, just keep an eye on your hygrometers.
im using Exquisi Cat silica kitty litter, less then a lb in a 100 qt coolidor and holding steady at 67-68%