Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will this work??
Hello all.  Question.  I have an old chest freezer that we don't use anymore and I'm wondering if I could use that as a humidor.  I have a cooler that I'm using right now but the wife wants it back and I don't feel like buying something if I don't have to - there are cigars to buy with that money!!  The seal on the freezer is fine and obviously I woudln't turn it on!!  I have a Cigar Oasis that I can throw in there and I woudl be good to go if it would work.  Any thoughts??  Thanks in advance for the help!!
I have seen them made out of old refrigerators, and wine fridges, so I don't see why an old chest freezer wouldn't work...
Thanks for the reply - I'm going to give this a shot!!!!!!!!!! 
an oasis isn't going to be big enough to fill the chest if it is large , also you will have to worry about how you are going to get airflow through your cigars. Are you going to line the whole thing with spanish Cedar? Also all chests are made of the plastic so it is best to scrub and get rid of the plastic smell or you will taste it in your cigars.
Yes I will have to give it a little water mixed with a bit of bleach bath - I know that already.  It is not a big freezer - if it is 5 cubic feet that is pushing it - it's probably more like 4.  I talked to the rep from Cigar Oasis and the model I have should be fine for 4-8 cubic feet and I know it's not that big.  I figured I could line it with spanish cedar yes - like I said - it's not that big of a freezer.  Thanks for the response and the points of interest of Fish!!!  I appreciate it.
The biggest problem with freezers and fridges and the like is that the seal is too good.

Consider a small sliver of wood inserted on the rubber to break the seal.
By a sliver of wood, do you mean just a stint or what??  centimeter thick??  on a corner or middle of an edge??  If I have the boxes to store the cigars in will I need to line the freezer with cedar??  Thanks in advance for all the help.
you would still want to line the box with Cedar yes.
Something like a toothpick or 3 or 4 to allow some small air leakage. This allows some moisture to escape so that your humidifier can donate some fresh evaporation. If you open the door frequently tehn you will probably be ok. Then again if the seal isn't perfect, then that may be ok too. Just remember, a perfect seal will cause your humidity to run away and make a great environment for mold.
sounds like a great score.  Lookin forward to seein some pics when it's all set up!