Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the verdict on the ESG?
[user=54]Tfire136[/user] wrote:
Quote:
BuffaloBill Wrote:Maybe I'm just too cheap, but he had a box of ESG robustos at the B&M last night for $20 / stick.  I just couldn't do it.  The way I see it, for $20 I can get 2 or 4 or even 6 of many other cigars that I know I love.

So what say you?  Are they worth the money or was I wise to spend that $20 on a pair of Padilla Signature 1932 toros instead.  Smile
Very mixed reviews on these sticks. I paid 21 a stick for the box of churchills I got from the first run so 20$ for the Robustos is a little steep (not taking into account taxes and what not) so it may actually not be that bad of a price. As far as the smoke in concerned I think age will do these guys  wonders!! I smoked one the other day and I think they already taste better. Some people have given up on them completley and have said they are not worth it, but for me I think these will be a real gem in a few years Smile

i agree they need some more time, just like the more powerful opus sticks i feel need time to tone down and let some of the sweetness come forward. maybe it's a characteristic of that particular wrapper leaf, shade or sungrown.
Smoked the churchill last night that has been sitting in my humi since thier release and it was great started off kind of spicy and then mellowed to a very complex smoke.  With that being said; The VSG IMHO is much better and what I'd choose if I had a choice the VSG flavor profile to me is better.  I have one left that I'll let sit for a while and revisit but I dont htink they'll ever top the VSG's that I have sitting with two years on em.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:For $20...I'd go for a Litto Small Batch...yum Big Grin
Me too...

I'd much rather smoke a regular line VSG than an ESG.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:For $20...I'd go for a Litto Small Batch...yum Big Grin
I think I may have to finally try one of these.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
The value of any cigar is in the ashtray of the consumer.  Moreso the argument is even more difficult with this cigar as you have to separate the sticker price from the overwhelming fuente koolaid hype from the cigar itself. 

In the hype game you're only as good as your latest buzz.  No cigar lasts here forever.  Today's must have stick will be tomorrow's was it worth it.  Nothing ever lives up to the hype nor is it supposed to.  The hype is meant to be larger than life to differentiate their product from other products competing for your limited consumer dollar.  With some Fuente ads you'd think their tobacco cures disease.  

As far as sticker price nothing is ever worth what the manufacturer charges for it.  Go into Ford and tell them that the Mustang is only 2,500 pounds of sheet metal.  Is gas really worth $2.75 a gallon?  Milk over $4 a gallon?  It's all relative to how bad you want it and how much you can afford it.  If you have a $100/week cigar budget a $20 stick is reasonable.  If you have a $20/month stick it's not.  See the hype above for how the manufacturers take want and make it into need.  So much so that you will subvert your ability to pay for it in order to acquire it.  See rampant consumer debt.

As for the stick itself.  It's very good with a taste profile and construction that differentiates it from its competition.  Whether you stock it is truly up to your tastes and budget.  In that sense was it worth it is all relative.   
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:The value of any cigar is in the ashtray of the consumer.  Moreso the argument is even more difficult with this cigar as you have to separate the sticker price from the overwhelming fuente koolaid hype from the cigar itself. 

In the hype game you're only as good as your latest buzz.  No cigar lasts here forever.  Today's must have stick will be tomorrow's was it worth it.  Nothing ever lives up to the hype nor is it supposed to.  The hype is meant to be larger than life to differentiate their product from other products competing for your limited consumer dollar.  With some Fuente ads you'd think their tobacco cures disease.  

As far as sticker price nothing is ever worth what the manufacturer charges for it.  Go into Ford and tell them that the Mustang is only 2,500 pounds of sheet metal.  Is gas really worth $2.75 a gallon?  Milk over $4 a gallon?  It's all relative to how bad you want it and how much you can afford it.  If you have a $100/week cigar budget a $20 stick is reasonable.  If you have a $20/month stick it's not.  See the hype above for how the manufacturers take want and make it into need.  So much so that you will subvert your ability to pay for it in order to acquire it.  See rampant consumer debt.

As for the stick itself.  It's very good with a taste profile and construction that differentiates it from its competition.  Whether you stock it is truly up to your tastes and budget.  In that sense was it worth it is all relative.   
very eloquent Rob.. Well said. (more so is 2 words or hyphenated if you wish Tongue)
bottom line is i hate fuente.  you all know that.  but this stick will always be near and dear to me because it was gifted to me by a dear friend.  can't do any better than that. 
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:bottom line is i hate fuente.  you all know that.  but this stick will always be near and dear to me because it was gifted to me by a dear friend.  can't do any better than that. 

^

Gay!

Tongue
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:^

Gay!

Tongue
one word for you sodomite: penis
Ditto!!   Wink
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles