Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more Android for me
(04-29-2014, 08:51 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: im waiting for verizon to support the nexus. Nexus is google. Android is google. Makes sense.

Nexus devices are not made by Google... They only run a pure Android Rom. The current like of Nexus devices were made by LG. Last year's were made by Motorola. Year before that was Samsung. No word yet on who will make next year's.
--Mike
Anyone who has switched from iOS to Android have any tips on getting messages to work properly. The misses is having problems and we have tried all of the solutions online with no luck. Apple says it could take up to for months for her imessage account to fully deactivate.
--Mike
(04-29-2014, 09:23 PM)wtfdic Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 08:51 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: im waiting for verizon to support the nexus. Nexus is google. Android is google. Makes sense.

Nexus devices are not made by Google... They only run a pure Android Rom. The current like of Nexus devices were made by LG. Last year's were made by Motorola. Year before that was Samsung. No word yet on who will make next year's.

I had the Nexus 4, and currently have the Nexus 5. I believe they were both made by LG. Love how smooth and fluid it runs. Just wish they would get WiFi calling like every other T-Mo phone.

(04-29-2014, 09:24 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Anyone who has switched from iOS to Android have any tips on getting messages to work properly. The misses is having problems and we have tried all of the solutions online with no luck. Apple says it could take up to for months for her imessage account to fully deactivate.

I didn't have any issues with mine when I made the switch, although that was a while back. Four months sounds absolutely ridiculous though. What texting app are you using? Hangouts?
(04-25-2014, 05:54 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Congrats Carl, on Monday I'm switching from the Motorola to a Samsung Galaxy 5. Always been a Motorola fan since the beginning of time. I figure I would try something different. I got the buy one get one free so my younger son makes out on the deal..a new learning experience for me...

A couple weeks ago, Amazon had a deal on a 3 pack of screen protectors for the S5. It was free. With free shipping. This is the product right here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX1M...UTF8&psc=1

I believe in the package there is an offer for another free three pack if you just review the product online and send them the link. I've purchased these for my phone and really like them. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is I don't have an S5 and don't intend on owning one, just got them because they were free. Hey- I'm a sucker for free. Anyway if you'd like it let me know, and I'll get it shipped off to you.

Conversely, xtremeguard.com is pretty much always running an 85-90 percent off sale. Screen protectors for dirt cheap and they're pretty good!
(04-29-2014, 09:24 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Nexus devices are not made by Google... They only run a pure Android Rom. The current like of Nexus devices were made by LG. Last year's were made by Motorola. Year before that was Samsung. No word yet on who will make next year's.

actually I knew that. But Google owns motorola... and Nexus is google...

from what I've been told when google commissions a manufacturer to build a nexus phone they are given unprecedented access to the software and the hardware is tailored for the latest android operating system (typically a new release).

That's all I need
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
(04-30-2014, 10:56 AM)scott81425 Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 09:23 PM)wtfdic Wrote:

I had the Nexus 4, and currently have the Nexus 5. I believe they were both made by LG. Love how smooth and fluid it runs. Just wish they would get WiFi calling like every other T-Mo phone.

(04-29-2014, 09:24 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Anyone who has switched from iOS to Android have any tips on getting messages to work properly. The misses is having problems and we have tried all of the solutions online with no luck. Apple says it could take up to for months for her imessage account to fully deactivate.

I didn't have any issues with mine when I made the switch, although that was a while back. Four months sounds absolutely ridiculous though. What texting app are you using? Hangouts?

I have her using Hangouts but also tried the stock messaging app. The problem is not with android it is with apple. Because of imessage. When two iphone users sms each other it gets sent through imessage (if they both have imessage enabled) the problem with imessage is that it takes over your phone number and from then on out all iphone to iphone sms goes through it so when you switch to android no more imessage and no more sms with your old iphone friends. You can turn imessage off and that is supposed to disable the service and return sms to normal but there is a known bug with it that has been around since the beginning of imessage that apple refuses to fix. It is kind of like the issues Google voice had in the beginning where it was near impossible to switch back to your default carrier voice mail after enabling Google voice.

For now the only way to manually get sms with her old iphone contacts working is for her old contacts to delete any messages they have together and also delete and re-add her as a contact. The problem with this is a lot of her old iphone contacts are women who for the most part barely know how to turn the phone on never-mind delete a contact. Big Grin
--Mike
(04-30-2014, 11:49 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 09:24 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Nexus devices are not made by Google... They only run a pure Android Rom. The current like of Nexus devices were made by LG. Last year's were made by Motorola. Year before that was Samsung. No word yet on who will make next year's.

actually I knew that. But Google owns motorola... and Nexus is google... so...

Google broke up and sold Motorola...I was hopeing for big things to come from that but nothing did...Will just have to wait for Project Ara for something big in the the cell phone world.
--Mike
(04-30-2014, 11:00 AM)scott81425 Wrote:
(04-25-2014, 05:54 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Congrats Carl, on Monday I'm switching from the Motorola to a Samsung Galaxy 5. Always been a Motorola fan since the beginning of time. I figure I would try something different. I got the buy one get one free so my younger son makes out on the deal..a new learning experience for me...

A couple weeks ago, Amazon had a deal on a 3 pack of screen protectors for the S5. It was free. With free shipping. This is the product right here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IX1M...UTF8&psc=1

I believe in the package there is an offer for another free three pack if you just review the product online and send them the link. I've purchased these for my phone and really like them. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is I don't have an S5 and don't intend on owning one, just got them because they were free. Hey- I'm a sucker for free. Anyway if you'd like it let me know, and I'll get it shipped off to you.

Conversely, xtremeguard.com is pretty much always running an 85-90 percent off sale. Screen protectors for dirt cheap and they're pretty good!

xtreme gaurd 90% off is great...Ordered a whole bunch of screen protectors and some full body protectors for pennies.
--Mike
Had an iPhone... Ditched it right away.. Had a pantech for awhile... Then a Motorola Defy (great phone for someone that wants Android but in a small power efficient package)... I now have a Motorola MotoX... Easily the most powerful device for Android developers right now...
Hey Dic, I'll take you upon that offer..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore