Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Masons in the house?
(01-23-2011, 01:32 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: Jan, it is basically an investigation of one's character to see that you are a moral and upstanding person. They verify that you believe in a supreme being, that you have not been in trouble with the law, and that you are financially stable (this is because you can't use the fraternity to make money). Also, the investigators will answer any questions the candidate has about Freemasonry. The interviews tend to stay on the surface: mainly just to see that you're a good person and that you are joining the Freemason of your own free will.

I hope this eplains it a bit.
I've heard that from many Masons in the past... I've always wondered... What does that mean? Or perhaps a better question would be how would one not be joining freely? ---Have there been cases that someone is found to not be joining of their own free will?

It's honestly something I've wondered, and pondered a great deal in the past... But have just never asked anyone.

I've thought that maybe it's a way of saying that... You must have no reservations as to your faith and your desire to become a Mason. However, as soon as you say "free will" instead of "free" your implying that no one must be forcing OR influencing you... I.E., Perhaps a person, group of people, or something else (depending on your believes, it could be many things)....
(01-23-2011, 01:32 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: .... it is basically an investigation ..... and that you are financially stable (this is because you can't use the fraternity to make money).

Not quite sure I understand this one. So...if you have any financial problems, past or present...you can't join...because you can't use the fraternity to make money?

How could you make money from being a Mason?

What are the financial requirements that are needed to join then?
Do you have to have a specific $$ figure in a bank account or something like that?

Huh
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(01-23-2011, 07:25 PM)Tonto Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 01:32 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: .... it is basically an investigation ..... and that you are financially stable (this is because you can't use the fraternity to make money).

Not quite sure I understand this one. So...if you have any financial problems, past or present...you can't join...because you can't use the fraternity to make money?

Do you have to have a specific $$ figure in a bank account or something like that?

Huh

There is no specific amount of money you must have to be a member. I was taught that "financially stable" means more than just money. Is the candidate a productive member of society? Does he provided for his wife and children? Does he have have a good work ethic? Many brothers fall on hard times, just like others in society. But, they aren't kicked out of the fraternity for that. I'm my brothers keeper and it then becomes my responsibility to help him during his time of need. Another reason that I must be "financially stable".
(01-23-2011, 06:51 PM)Teck1337 Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 01:32 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: Jan, it is basically an investigation of one's character to see that you are a moral and upstanding person. They verify that you believe in a supreme being, that you have not been in trouble with the law, and that you are financially stable (this is because you can't use the fraternity to make money). Also, the investigators will answer any questions the candidate has about Freemasonry. The interviews tend to stay on the surface: mainly just to see that you're a good person and that you are joining the Freemason of your own free will.

I hope this eplains it a bit.
I've heard that from many Masons in the past... I've always wondered... What does that mean? Or perhaps a better question would be how would one not be joining freely? ---Have there been cases that someone is found to not be joining of their own free will?

It's honestly something I've wondered, and pondered a great deal in the past... But have just never asked anyone.

I've thought that maybe it's a way of saying that... You must have no reservations as to your faith and your desire to become a Mason. However, as soon as you say "free will" instead of "free" your implying that no one must be forcing OR influencing you... I.E., Perhaps a person, group of people, or something else (depending on your believes, it could be many things)....

Teck, you are basically right. By saying "free will" it implies that you are choosing to join the fraternity free from coercion or influence. In other words, no one is making you join or against you joining. You are joining the Freemasons with honest intentions of just being in the fraternity. Basically, you are joining because you really want to join. Freemasons are generally forbidden to recruit others to join because it is seen as influencing them. "Free will" is a theme that runs throughout Freemasonry.

(01-23-2011, 07:25 PM)Tonto Wrote:

Huh

Paddry is correct. How much a person has in his bank account is never taken into consideration. The idea, just as Paddry wrote, is that are you able to take care of yourself and family. Using myself as an example, I am far FAR from being rich; in fact I am just about as poor as dirt..LOL...but the financial question that was asked of me was, "Do you earn enough to pay your bills and provide for yourself?" yes. "good. next question." That is about as in depth as it gets. There was never and should never be any question as to how much you have; it just doesn't matter.

What I meant by "you can't make money from the fraternity" is that it is to prevent people who only want to join to sell stuff, i.e., expand their sales market, etc., and they are not joining because they truly want to be a Freemason. Again, it goes back to joining for the right reasons versus wrong reasons. Also, going back to Paddry's words of wisdom, if you are in a tight financial spot or you see another who is, we do our best to help out but do so with harming ourselves in the process. Very much like StogieChat, we do our best here to help out when someone needs it. We are our Brother's keeper.

I hope this makes a little more sense...it's late and I am going a bit brain-dead. Smile If I made it more unclear, please say so, and I'll do my best to clarify it or some Mason wiser than I can explain it better. Smile
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
thanks for the info Mr. Lion!
--Mike
(01-24-2011, 04:03 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: There was never and should never be any question as to how much you have; it just doesn't matter.

Well said Lion. I was taught that we should regard no man for his worldly wealth or honors; and that it is the internal, and not the external qualifications, which recommend a man to be made a Mason.
(01-24-2011, 09:30 PM)Paddry69 Wrote:
(01-24-2011, 04:03 AM)The Diamond Lion Wrote: There was never and should never be any question as to how much you have; it just doesn't matter.

Well said Lion. I was taught that we should regard no man for his worldly wealth or honors; and that it is the internal, and not the external qualifications, which recommend a man to be made a Mason.

Absolutely. A lot of times you can spot a Mason before he utters a word - simply by the way he carries himself.

And to add a side note to what has already been said about making money from the fraternity. We are well known for taking care of our own when they are in difficult financial positions. Part of the process I think is also to ensure that people are not joining just to take advantage of this and get "free handouts" if that makes sense.

I think that in most cases, people that join for the right reasons are the ones that stick around for a long time. Those that do not tend to fade away because they do not get what they were hoping to.

Just my two cents... but then again, what the hell do I know? Wink

(01-24-2011, 09:30 PM)Paddry69 Wrote:

That is exactly what I was taught, too, and what I firmly believe.
Thanks guys...that clears it up for me! Smile
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(01-25-2011, 01:31 AM)MaytagMan Wrote: And to add a side note to what has already been said about making money from the fraternity. We are well known for taking care of our own when they are in difficult financial positions. Part of the process I think is also to ensure that people are not joining just to take advantage of this and get "free handouts" if that makes sense.

I think that in most cases, people that join for the right reasons are the ones that stick around for a long time. Those that do not tend to fade away because they do not get what they were hoping to.

Just my two cents... but then again, what the hell do I know? Wink

Thank you, MaytagMan, you and Paddry said exactly what I meant, but I just couldn't spit it out correctly...LOL! And, yes, you know quite a bit.