StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Help...Windows 7 error on backing up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(07-29-2015, 01:37 PM)nayslayer Wrote: [ -> ]have you run scandisk on external drive? Online virus scan, like nod32 online scan?

Yes & yes...all drives are good.
(07-28-2015, 10:19 PM)Teck1337 Wrote: [ -> ]It's a symbolic link!

Would moving the files back from the D: to the correct corresponding folders on the C: & then deleting the links from the C: to the D: work?
BTW...I think I'm going to just order a 2TB WD Red internal HD & back up to that instead of the external.
My suggestion is kind of bigger... Put a little cash into getting a copy of Acronis TrueImage and let it run differential daily or weekly backups with auto cleanup to an external drive. When buying an external, look for the ~$33 per TB sweet spot. Personally, have ~300GB of files which i backup, compressed its ~100GB for the first backup in the chain and each DAILY differential backup is 20MB-1GB (depending on how i use my computer that day)... Meaning that my 500GB external currently has 6 months of backups and still has a lot of space.

The thing with TrueImage is that its very powerful and does the kind of backup that allows a baremetal restore or to a VM if needed. It's also very fast and reliable with features that will send you reports about successful/unsuccessful backups. --If you keep an eye out, sometimes you can get a copy from Microcenter or Frys for < $20 AR.

I essentially made the same suggestion to Bill the other day in a PM.
(07-29-2015, 03:28 PM)Tonto Wrote: [ -> ]

Would moving the files back from the D: to the correct corresponding folders on the C: & then deleting the links from the C: to the D: work?
If you move the files back to the corresponding folders on C:\, it will just redirect them to the D:\

The best way is to remove the link... Or you could move the files to some temp directory, delete the links, and then put them back on the C:\... But I have a feeling that this is not the reason your having a problem...
(07-29-2015, 10:08 PM)Teck1337 Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestion is kind of bigger... Put a little cash into getting a copy of Acronis TrueImage and let it run differential daily or weekly backups with auto cleanup to an external drive. When buying an external, look for the ~$33 per TB sweet spot. Personally, have ~300GB of files which i backup, compressed its ~100GB for the first backup in the chain and each DAILY differential backup is 20MB-1GB (depending on how i use my computer that day)... Meaning that my 500GB external currently has 6 months of backups and still has a lot of space.

The thing with TrueImage is that its very powerful and does the kind of backup that allows a baremetal restore or to a VM if needed. It's also very fast and reliable with features that will send you reports about successful/unsuccessful backups. --If you keep an eye out, sometimes you can get a copy from Microcenter or Frys for < $20 AR.

I essentially made the same suggestion to Bill the other day in a PM.

Which external drive would you recommend?  The one I've been trying to use is a Toshiba 2Tb Canvio Basics 3.0
(07-29-2015, 10:11 PM)Teck1337 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-29-2015, 03:28 PM)Tonto Wrote: [ -> ]

If you move the files back to the corresponding folders on C:\, it will just redirect them to the D:\

The best way is to remove the link... Or you could move the files to some temp directory, delete the links, and then put them back on the C:\... But I have a feeling that this is not the reason your having a problem...

I think you're right that it isn't causing the issue.  But I'll move them back.
That should be fine... I normally use a western digital passport or my book..
What do you think of this version? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200074

$19.99 after rebate, but the few reviews don't look so good
Looks fine... If you have issues, ive had customer service go as far as write me a custom patch for my issue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6