Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do you neesd a new hygrometer?
tafdom Wrote:This has come up  a bunch and I never got my point across.

Why does it fluctuate 7% in 9* in the salt test bag? Somebody please put this to rest for me so I can go find another tangent to obcess over. Thanks, T
I'll wait for Skip to chime in on this one. Not only is he the SC Skipper he is the Professer to.[Image: RussellJohnsonProfessor.jpg]

Why does it fluctuate 7% in 9* in the salt test bag? Somebody please put this to rest for me so I can go find another tangent to obcess over. Thanks, T

7% is excessive for 9 degrees. But, not totally unreasonable.

What do you use to humidify (device, water, & #)?

What 9 degrees (starting point and ending point)

Also, what are the limits of your humidity (at the lower temp and at the higher temp)?

At the higher temperatures, not only will the air support higher concentrations of water, more water will be liberated form your huidifier too.
Also, the hygrometers are less acurate outside of certain temperatures.
The Western Caliber III -with the warranty...can't go wrong! 

To test the units, best to test with the boveda packets.  Reason for the company to not use the salt test is the unit is electronic.  Having moisture saturated with salt on or around the delicate components in a zip-lock can damage the sensors...kind of like what the road salt can do to our cars!!! Boveda is a safe and cheap alternative!

Measuring Range ........... 20% to 99% RH (relative humidity)
Resolution ...................... 1%
Accuracy, humidity ....... +/- 1% (40%-80%) +/- 3% other
Updating time ................ 10 seconds

Temperature
Measuring Range ..........0 to 50 C/ 32-120F
Resolution ...................... 1 degree
Accuracy ....................... +/-1 C/F

Just a lil info ......

Jen @ Bargain HumidorsBig Grin
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:

7% is excessive for 9 degrees. But, not totally unreasonable.

What do you use to humidify (device, water, & #)?

What 9 degrees (starting point and ending point)

Also, what are the limits of your humidity (at the lower temp and at the higher temp)?

At the higher temperatures, not only will the air support higher concentrations of water, more water will be liberated form your huidifier too.
Also, the hygrometers are less acurate outside of certain temperatures.
OK Skip, here it one of many done on diff units.   67 seems to be a huge key on many diff units @ that temp. I was going to buy a digital meter to calibrate with  until my research showed they still had a +/- of 1 to 2 error. Why bother, spend the 400 on more cigars.[ROTF]  But it's still making me FN CRAZY.

These are the Hygrosets in a test bag.

65*     79%

67       80

68       75

69       75

70       76

72       74

Jen, I'm just stating what I know from the makers of ALL the units, and I know them all. Even the digital test meters, Digital Absolute Hygrometer, Digital Humidity Meter, and  sling psychrometers, that cost from $200 to $500 have a +/- of at least 1 to 2 and I don't get it. Obviousley humidity is a tough nut to crack on accuracy. The warranty is great if they would respond. I have said in the past All the units are OK if they are calibrated. I just stated that Western is OFF more then the others, out of the box on humidity.  The temps are spot on when checked with a certified laser meter.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.