Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something is VERY wrong in my coolidor.
     Okay, I've had a trying week, and this weekend wasn't much better.  Long story short, I had no time to really sit and enjoy a smoke until today.  I grabbed a stick I've never tried before, and went for it.

I cut and take a quick pre-light draw.  Draw is good, but I notice a funny taste on my lips.  I dismiss it as a characteristic of the new stick, and think nothing of it.  So, I light up - still getting the funny taste/residue on my lips, and finding the stick tasteless.  I'm thiking to myself, "This stick sucks!  I'm getting a different cigar."

So, I go for a really NICE smoke, one that I KNOW won't let me down (Padron 1964).  Unfortunately, I encounter the same issue.... funny taste on my lips, and strange residue - and NO flavor from the cigar!  WHAT!?!  This is a F*CKING PADRON!  I know something is wrong, now. 

I do this about 4 more times, inspecting the sticks.  The sticks are a little dusty looking, almost like they've been giving a slight dusting with that super fine popcorn salt.  Nothing green, nothing that looks like typical mold to me.... although the sticks seem slightly "hairy" to me (...no shaving jokes here, please!).

What's the problem?  I wouldn't suspect plume to develop in a coolidor that's less than 2 months old.  ANY help would be greatly appreciated, as it seems my entire collection is at stake.

-Pete
Pete....you said a few look "hairy"....do you have any pics?

Just a thought here....Have you tried buying a stick from a B/m & smoking that? Sometimes a condition develops (I don't remember the name) when your taste buds are basically overloaded, so everything you taste seems blah. It happens from time to time. I think it happened to Mario a few months ago.  I don't know if this is your situation. Anyways, just a thought.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Tonto.  I had every intention of taking pics, with hopes that it would help to give a more accurate diagnosis.  However, this "hair" or "fuzz" is so fine and sparse that pics will likely prove inconclusive.  The "dust" is also very fine. 

I've checked my entire box, and I've yet to find anything that strikes me as typical mold (I.e, blue-green spots or lumps).  I've searched the forum, as well as the Internet about "plume", and I'm quite skeptical that what I have going on is plume.  Like I said, my box has only been in tact for less than two months and while conditions are seemingly good, I don't see how it's possible in that short period of time. 

I will take your advice.  I received that "Free Monticristo" on Tuesday.  I will go and give that one a try right now to see if perhaps I'm suffering from that condition you mentioned. 

Be back in a little while.  Thanks, Tonto!  
Hope your taste buds are just messed up and not your entire stash :?...good luck Pete
Pete...what humidity are you maintaining and what are you using to maintain it?

Are you using a digital hygrometer? And have you salt tested it?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Pete, I dont have a clue. sorry
     Maybe it IS something with my sense of taste, as it didn't take long before I got that same taste (distaste) from that Montecristo. 

DUH!  Was thinking... I had been ill this week.  While my nose is currently clear as day, do you think my taste may still be affected?  I almost HOPE this is the case.  True, I wasted some GREAT sticks today (which sucks), but I suppose it is more preferable that coming to realize I have a mold problem that could potentially wipe out my entire collection.   
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:Pete...what humidity are you maintaining and what are you using to maintain it?

Are you using a digital hygrometer? And have you salt tested it?
    I am currently using one of those Radio Shack Digital Hygrometer/Thermometers.  I salt tested it, and it was pretty much spot-on.  As for my humidifier, I have a half-pound of 65% Heartfelt Beads, which is FAR more than I need for the small 36-quart cooler I am using.  While my humidity has never been a perfect 65%, it has always been in the range of 66% - 72%.  Temperatures very rarely reach 70-degrees, as I am keeping the box in my basement.  I'm usually between 66-68 degrees at all times.   
MK 199 Wrote:Hope your taste buds are just messed up and not your entire stash :?...good luck Pete
     Thanks, MK... and that may very well be the case.  I have been under the weather since Tuesday, but I felt pretty damn good today (nose seemed clear).  Hopefully, something is VERY wrong with my taste buds, instead of my stash.  I plan to lay off the smokes until next weekend.  If then they still taste bad, I have a problem.  If there is no issue, I would personally nominate this thread for "Dumbest Thread of 2008".  Hey, it's better than having your collection wiped out! Big Grin
Pete Wrote:
MK 199 Wrote:Hope your taste buds are just messed up and not your entire stash :?...good luck Pete
     Thanks, MK... and that may very well be the case.  I have been under the weather since Tuesday, but I felt pretty damn good today (nose seemed clear).  Hopefully, something is VERY wrong with my taste buds, instead of my stash.  I plan to lay off the smokes until next weekend.  If then they still taste bad, I have a problem.  If there is no issue, I would personally nominate this thread for "Dumbest Thread of 2008".  Hey, it's better than having your collection wiped out! Big Grin
Nah, not dumb just being percausious....hope it all works out and your taste buds get back to normal