Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will a Cedar Chest work as a humi?
I posted pics of my small but growing collection in the cigar P0RN section and Budda Bill noticed the cedar chest I was using to put my sticks on to take pics.  He eluded that it could possibly be used for storage.  Of course that one is the wife's and could not touch it with a ten foot fishing rod!

His observation did prompt a question about using cedar lined chests (not spanish cedar) to store boxes and/or other sticks in?  Of course humidity would need to be controlled with available products but am curious if this would work.  I looked on Craigslist today and there are some sweet deals, can pick up a nice chest for >$200.

What do the experts think, is this an option?
Aromatic ceder is not good for storing cigars, I would never recommend this. Spanish ceder is not even real ceder, it is a mahogany.  
fishhound Wrote:Aromatic ceder is not good for storing cigars, I would never recommend this. Spanish ceder is not even real ceder, it is a mahogany.  
Yeah & that's not to mention that you need a very good seal on it.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Was hoping there would be some wiggle room there, not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks for setting this straight [thumbsup] 
ktee Wrote:Was hoping there would be some wiggle room there, not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks for setting this straight [thumbsup] 

Come on now...don't give up so easily!!!

Do a search for something similar...maybe some similar chests that aren't made of cedar and line them with spanish cedar.  See the thread on the coke machine being made into a humidor.  Anything is possible and you can get most anything to seal if you work at it.  Think about what you're searching for as something you can build a spanish cedar "insert" for and voila!

You might even keep your costs down by finding an antique chest, armoir or radio that can be gutted.

Good luck!
[user=1252]ktee[/user] wrote:
Quote:I posted pics of my small but growing collection in the cigar P0RN section and Budda Bill noticed the cedar chest I was using to put my sticks on to take pics.  He eluded that it could possibly be used for storage.  Of course that one is the wife's and could not touch it with a ten foot fishing rod!

His observation did prompt a question about using cedar lined chests (not spanish cedar) to store boxes and/or other sticks in?  Of course humidity would need to be controlled with available products but am curious if this would work.  I looked on Craigslist today and there are some sweet deals, can pick up a nice chest for >$200.

What do the experts think, is this an option?

I don't know if this would work for sure or not but you could try sealing the cedar with urethane or something similar and then lining the chest with spanish cedar. Sounds like a lot of work but If you really have your heart set on using a cedar chest this my be worth a shot.
If the chest is just lined with cedar I dont know why you just couldnt remove the cedar and replace it with spanish cedar ...But only if it is just lined ....If everything is aromatic cedar I wouldnt even mess with it .....
Interesting ideas, thanks for putting them out there.  I wasn't set on doing this, it was an idea put out there by BuddhaBill and sparked a light bulb in the old noggin.  Thought it might be a low cost alternative to the higher priced humi's out there but sounds like it would be a lot of work and the wife already has a list that will take ten years to finish!

The light is now out BuddhaBill Tongue
ktee Wrote:Interesting ideas, thanks for putting them out there.  I wasn't set on doing this, it was an idea put out there by BuddhaBill and sparked a light bulb in the old noggin.  Thought it might be a low cost alternative to the higher priced humi's out there but sounds like it would be a lot of work and the wife already has a list that will take ten years to finish!

The light is now out BuddhaBill Tongue
Or you could take the chest & find a nice size tupperware that fits inside & use it as the humidor.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles