Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Up & Down month...
Sorry, long post

Last week, the wife & I took a quick trip to Seattle, to see my oldest son graduate from the University of Washington.  Although it was a quick, short trip, we had a great time.  We came home with both of our boys (they both go/went to college there). 

Then this week was a lot of work, prepping for Saturday, when our oldest daughter would graduate from High School.  There was a lot to do with the backyard & patio. But we got it done.  Then there was the inside...still no work done to repair the damage from the water leak, almost 3 months ago.  But we'll get by.
My wife's parents, her sister & her husband, alone with their 3 year old daughter are to arrive on Friday, from NJ.

Then, early Wednesday, my wife gets messages that her dad is in the Emergency room, with severe lower back pain.  He was thinking kidney stone.  While there, they did do a Cat scan, which showed a few "misaligned discs" & inflammation of 1 kidney.  After being there over 12 hours, & with no relief from the pain, he gets sent home & told to take a couple of Motrin.  WTF??   Also, he's a diabetic & they didn't even do any type of blood test.

Long story short, he's in too much pain to make the trip.

Friday, things seem to go well, until late that night, after people left, or went to bed.  My 19 year old smoking pal, my cat "Pretty" isn't doing well.  She has arthritis & it seems to be acting up a bit.  My wife & I pick her up & put her in her house.  She's an outdoor cat, doesn't want to be indoors, ever.  She has also never left the backyard.  So over the years, I've built several small insulated & heated houses for her & also a food & water area.

Saturday morning....getting ready for the High School graduation ceremony at Hofstra University, people coming over, taking pictures, etc.  Just before the crowd arrives, my wife & I check on Pretty...to give her fresh food & water.  She was still in her house... she didn't wake up.   Sad  With guests & on a tight timeline, there was nothing we could do, except to make sure no one saw her.  We didn't want our 3 year old niece to find her.  So my wife & I kept quiet & tried to be happy, with the ceremony coming up.

Well, the graduation ceremony goes well.  We head back to our place for a "party", food, drink, etc.  Finally, after everyone leaves, I take off the roof off of her house & take her out & wrap her up.  It's late & we can't bury her in the dark.

So we head inside, where my youngest daughter comes downstairs & tells us something is wrong with Bun-Bun, her pet dwarf Lion-head bunny.  He's had some bouts of GI stasis the last few years, but nothing that bad.  She goes & bring him to us, as he's convulsing now.  She puts him on the floor & he let's out a God awful, horrific cry that everyone in the house heard.  And that was it, RIP Bun-Bun.  My daughter was vert attached to her & very upset (as we all were).  So we again, we wrapped him up & waited for the morning. Sad Sad

Sunday morning comes & we have to make 2 small caskets & then bury the 2 pets in the flower garden.  That's all done by early afternoon.  We get cleaned up & dressed, as we have reservations at a small steak house to celebrate Father's Day/2 Graduations.  We leave & about a mile from home, I see the temp gauge in the van starting to rise.  I get a bad feeling & turn the van around & head for home.  About 1 long block from home, the van starts to over heat & I pull over & shut it off.  I pop the hood, to see it steaming coolant from the back of the engine.  I put some water & anti-freeze in the refill tank & let the engine cool off for a 1/2 hour & then I was able to get it home & in the driveway.  This morning, it got towed to the repair shop.  No word on it yet.

RIP Pretty

RIP Bun-Bun (aka Mr. Bunny)

Note:  Bun-Bun was a regular at visiting pre-school classes, so the kids could interact with a real bunny.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Jan, sorry to hear about the pets. Never easy.
What is your son doing after graduating?
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Sorry to hear about your pets, and happy for the accomplishments of your kids!

Dang Jan. Never easy to lose a pet. Sending good thoughts to you and your family.

Congrats on the graduations!
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.
Sorry to hear Jan, but congrats on the graduations!
This is my boomstick!
Thanks guys.

My youngest daughter was hit the hardest by this.  She really loved her bunny.
She & my wife have been tending to the memorial & grave sites that they made one of our garden areas.  I'll post some pics when they finish.
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
(06-20-2022, 07:30 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: What is your son doing after graduating?

He's applied to 15 different law schools.  They all have some type of rolling admissions.
So far, he has 2 that accepted him, 1 that said no, & 3 that have wait listed him.  Waiting to here from the others, but they all have time deadlines for accepting them.

He passed on a full ride to a local school, Hofstra University, as their deadline was way, way early.

Currently, he has an acceptance at Brooklyn Law School with scholarship of $30,000 per year.  It's deadline is 6/30.  It's a good school, close by, that he could comute from home, but it's about 1 1/2 hours by train/subway each way, so he might have to choose some type of local (expensive) housing & come home on weekends.

He's waiting to hear 1st from a few others, including 3 schools in Pa (including Villanova), also the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, 2 schools in Florida & Tulane in New Orleans.  There are also a school in California, & also Arizona.  I think his top choice is Tulane, followed by Tennessee.

He also may decide to take a gap year & re-apply in September to some of those schools & others.

Time is ticking for him & he's aware of it.
Update on the van:   Both upper & lower manifold gaskets went.
Man, so many highs and lows. Life is crazy sometimes. Congratulations
No Justice, No Peace!
Rutgers has a good law school.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore