Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more Android for me
(04-30-2014, 07:11 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Hey Dic, I'll take you upon that offer..

Are you calling me Dic?
(04-30-2014, 07:48 PM)scott81425 Wrote:
(04-30-2014, 07:11 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: Hey Dic, I'll take you upon that offer..

Are you calling me Dic?

I'm equally confused
--Mike
There is only one Dic (well 3 of them from MA). Too many drinks tonight Scott, way to confused..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
(04-30-2014, 11:49 AM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 09:24 PM)wtfdic Wrote: Nexus devices are not made by Google... They only run a pure Android Rom. The current like of Nexus devices were made by LG. Last year's were made by Motorola. Year before that was Samsung. No word yet on who will make next year's.

actually I knew that. But Google owns motorola... and Nexus is google...

from what I've been told when google commissions a manufacturer to build a nexus phone they are given unprecedented access to the software and the hardware is tailored for the latest android operating system (typically a new release).

That's all I need

All manufacturers have full access to Android.... You and I have full access to Android, it is open source.

The real question for you is do you like stock android? Most manufactures put a UI skin on top of Android the changes the look and feel. Sometimes for some people this is for the better or for the worse.

The nexus devices as well as the developer and Google play editions of phones are a great way to experience stock android and they are also something that I feel gives the development community a great starting point.

To me though stock android is very good but also has its short comings. Sometimes these short comings are for lack of better terms less obvious when painted with a fresh coat of some manufacturers UI.

It all depends on what you like. If you are for example used to HTC Sense or Samsung TouchWiz you may not be very excited by stock android.

I would encourage anyone to download the Android x86 port and run stock unmodified Android on there PC for a bit. It is a good way to see exactly what you are in for.
--Mike
I've heard humors that many people at Google wanted to prove that it would be possible to build a phone in the United States for very little more than in China. The MotoX cost them less than $4 more per unit to manufacture in the United States.

There apparently was also the belief that buying Motorola and releasing a phone like the MotoX would do two things..
1) Bring even more attention to android --And it has..

2) They hoped that more manufactures would integrate some of the really unique features the MotoX had, AND more importantly come up with new ones!. The reality is, there hasn't been huge changes to hardware over the last few years. Manufactures have been giving you a bigger screen, and a battery with greater capacity. Well, right now we've kind of hit the max practical size for both. The lack of hardware development could very easily leave the door open for Apple.

Buying Motorola was about encouraging current manufactures to step up and do amazing things... Because if current manufactures dont, clearly some 'little guy' in the United States could easily step in... Or maybe even a company like HP, Intel, or Texas Instruments could step in and out do current manufactures.
(05-02-2014, 09:47 AM)Teck1337 Wrote: I've heard humors that many people at Google wanted to prove that it would be possible to build a phone in the United States for very little more than in China. The MotoX cost them less than $4 more per unit to manufacture in the United States.

There apparently was also the belief that buying Motorola and releasing a phone like the MotoX would do two things..

2) They hoped that more manufactures would integrate some of the really unique features the MotoX had, AND more importantly come up with new ones!. The reality is, there hasn't been huge changes to hardware over the last few years. Manufactures have been giving you a bigger screen, and a battery with greater capacity. Well, right now we've kind of hit the max practical size for both. The lack of hardware development could very easily leave the door open for Apple.

Buying Motorola was about encouraging current manufactures to step up and do amazing things... Because if current manufactures dont, clearly some 'little guy' in the United States could easily step in... Or maybe even a company like HP, Intel, or Texas Instruments could step in and out do current manufactures.

I think the only reason they bought Motorola was to increase there patent portfolio. Although they have sold off most of Motorola they still hold most of the patents acquired in the original purchase.
--Mike
(05-02-2014, 10:40 AM)wtfdic Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 09:47 AM)Teck1337 Wrote: I've heard humors that many people at Google wanted to prove that it would be possible to build a phone in the United States for very little more than in China. The MotoX cost them less than $4 more per unit to manufacture in the United States.

I think the only reason they bought Motorola was to increase there patent portfolio. Although they have sold off most of Motorola they still hold most of the patents acquired in the original purchase.

That being why they took such a massive loss in the sale of it, the patents stayed with Google. All in an attempt to lose as little as possible in the lawsuit.
The needed the patents to counter Apples suits against google.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/05/17/...a-nexus-6/
--Mike
good stuff mike... I'll need to wait for this.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer