Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My newest aquisition
Cantillon St. Lamvinus
[Image: beer-importers-line.gif]
[Image: Cantillon_StLamvinus.jpg]
Cantillon St. Lamvinus Country of Origin: Belgium Brewery: Cantillon Beer Style: Fruit Beer, Lambic Alcohol By Volume: 5.0% Format: 750ml cork-finished bottles Beer or wine? St. Lamvinus is a two-year-old Cantillon lambic fermented in oak casks along with wine grapes from France, and siphoned directly into 750 ml champagne bottles. The type of grapes used, and the winery in France that supplies them, are different every year.
This beer has been offered irregularly for several years, and its quality has been somewhat variable, but in the last three years it has become an annual event, and a dependably extraordinary drink. The name is a small pun: 'lam' referring to lambic beer, 'vinus' being, of course, the latin for 'wine,' and the whole thing, 'St. Lamvinus,' meant to remind you of St. Emilion, one of the most fabled wine appellations in Bordeaux. It is in essence a union of wine and beer, and though it is not the only such (see, for example, Cantillon Vigneronne, the Druivenbier from Paeleman in Belgium, and a very rare grape lambic once made at Drie Fonteinen), it is certainly the most elegant. It is the fruit of master brewer Jean-Pierre Van Roy's passion for wine and his close friendship with a number of France's best wine-makers.

This looks VERY interesting to me.  It was $35 but I just had to have a bottle!  Only 6 made it to MN and I got one.Big Grin  I've enjoyed a few lambics in my day but this marriage of wine and beer has gotten great reviews and should be something different...
Very interesting.  Lambics is just one beer I could never get into.  The Brett and Lacto yeast profiles are just gross to me, there is nothing appealing about a sour beer. :? 
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:Very interesting.  Lambics is just one beer I could never get into.  The Brett and Lacto yeast profiles are just gross to me, there is nothing appealing about a sour beer. :?
I was with you until I tried a few of the higher end Lambics and now I think they have their place but they're not the first beer I'd choose - ever - but the wine profile is what got me here.
Let me know when you open that "Bad Boy" Gunnar!  Big Grin   I will be right over!