Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opinions on these methods of humidity for cigars?
ive always used humidity beads, but i was wondering what people think about the CI Crystal Gel Humidity Bead Jar and the HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel Humidification?
People are as different as cigars. It would depend what size humi you had to start. For small I like the Crystal Gel but I use it in everything even my active systems. Once you get above 300 count I also use the active systems like cigar oasis or the hydra. I never cared for the beads to much and the cost stinks and take to much work.

http://www.qualityimporters.com/qualityi...asp?ID=223

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Stick with the beads bro. I have heard that the crystal is a great place for mold to start. I used it at first, but switched to beads shortly after I found this forum. I do have some of the humi-care pillows to use when I take trips, or need a tupperware for some overflow. They are cheap, and seem to work pretty good.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodd...M-HMC07-10
I like smoking lightning
The humi-care pillows ARE the crystal gel in powder form called snow and they are great.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

(08-07-2010, 01:46 AM)carl609 Wrote: Stick with the beads bro. I have heard that the crystal is a great place for mold to start. I used it at first, but switched to beads shortly after I found this forum. I do have some of the humi-care pillows to use when I take trips, or need a tupperware for some overflow. They are cheap, and seem to work pretty good.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodd...M-HMC07-10

i was wondering what is it about the crystals that causes mold?
I am using Xikar Crystal humidifier. It is gel based and i have had pretty good luck with it. Hopefully soon i will be setting up a new humidor and i think i will give the beads a shot and see how that goes.
--Mike
I love the heartfelt beads, I don't have to rehydrate them for months and they keep a rock solid 65% RH (65% beads obviously), never used anything else, but I can't imagine using anything else except for an active system if I got a larger humidor.
I bought beads to lower the humidity in my cab two hot Summers ago. They didn't do a great job there (2 lbs.) but they have been stellar on desk tops (as a replacement to the green foam) and on the overflow tupperdor.

When you go big there is no better than the set & forget.
(08-07-2010, 03:17 PM)Riofan Wrote: I bought beads to lower the humidity in my cab two hot Summers ago. They didn't do a great job there (2 lbs.) but they have been stellar on desk tops (as a replacement to the green foam) and on the overflow tupperdor.

When you go big there is no better than the set & forget.

Yes no question about it..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Try it. See for yourself. There are a great many methods and varied opinions. I think we all agree that the electronic active humidification is hands down the best. But it isn't always practical. For some the economical puck works fine, others swear by the beads (personally I hate them). I've used the gel with decent results. Heck, I've used a wet paper towel to help augment my humidification in some of my humidors when I had 9 running at once. Go electronic if your humidor is large enough. If you have 9 smaller units obviously this isn't good advice, in that case try a variety of methods and form your own opinion.