Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
it's time for a new bed
ok fellas, the lady and i have decided it's time for a new bed. i don't know if we're really rough on them, or i am too fat, or what, but we go through beds like crazy. probably has something to do with us always buying very inexpensive ones. so this time we decided to make an investment. we want to buy something that will last. so the first thing that came to mind was a sleep number bed. that would be advantageous, as she likes her bed super hard, and i like mine super soft. we went to the store, found one we really liked, and i thought it was a done deal. UNTIL i asked the salesman to run us for the 2 year financing. it started to go down hill from there. a little backgroud, i'm a t-shirt kind of guy. i went into this store wearing a baseball hat, my t shirt mad4maduro made for me, and a pair of black pants. and tennis shoes. so i understand i probably didn't look like prime clientele to be picking up a new 3000 dollar bed. but the dude didn't have to make it so obvious. seriously, i felt like he felt severely disgruntled at running a credit check for me. even at one point he ran into an error in the system, and asked if i even wanted him to try again, as this was a really difficult financing option to get. i responded he should go ahead and run it. i think my exact words were "dude, i'm telling you, you're not going to run into any problems". he sighed and said he would try again, but it was going to take a while. at this point i told him i was hungry for lunch, and asked him to give me a call when he got the results. another sigh, and another are you sure you want me to run it? the lady and i walked out into the mall and grabbed a bite to eat. he called and said we had been approved for plenty to cover the purchase price of the bed we wanted. i said thank you, and we were still deciding whether or not we could fit another payment into our finances. something tells me maybe sales wasn't the right line of work for this guy. salesman take note, steering customers away from financing can cost you a sale, lol, but you should know that. anyway, i went from having my new bed picked out and ready to take delivery to now looking into other options. so i ask you guys, what beds do you use? what do you recommend? anything you wouldn't go back to? or wouldn't trade for the world? i've been checking out comfortaire mattresses, and like the looks (and price) of them. anyone have experience with them? thanks.
The wifey and I have a Sterns and Foster, best bed I have ever slept on. I too am a big guy and the bed has lasted about 10 years. We are also starting to talk about a new bed ourselves but haven't done any research.

As far as the salesman goes I would of gone back to the store and right before signing the paperwork said I think I will pay cash. Then right before you sign the paperwork on that deal tell the dude you just got a phone call from another bedding company and they have a better deal and get up and walk out.
Ironic, Scott... I noticed my work's spam filter caught my weekly Sleep Number e-mail this morning. Big Grin

My fiancee and I upgraded to a King Size bed after purchasing our house. We checked out the Sleep Number beds as they have a store front in our local mall. She was taken by the concept, while I went through the motions with much skepticism. Both she and I thought they were nice, but neither of us felt they'd be firm enough - even on what was said to be their most supportive settings. Of course, once we were handed a price sheet, neither of us had any problem walking out of the store.

After a weekend of shopping and testing, she and I agreed we'd go with a memory foam mattress. From there, we did quite a bit of research, testing several different levels of firmness. We settled on this model: Sealy Sapphire Bay Cushion Firm Mattress. We found it more firm than some of the memory foam mattresses on display, but still somewhat reasonably priced as far as memory foam is concerned. The first couple nights, it felt pretty damn firm... perhaps too firm. Now that we've adjusted to it, we wouldn't consider going back to a traditional innerspring mattress (although some are pretty nice).

You and your wife are doing the right thing in trying out everything available. You'll get an idea as to what suits you. Unfortunately, until it's in your bedroom for a week or so, you won't know for sure if it's the best option for you. Many places have a 30-day return policy, which is a nice safety net to have.
this whole bed thing... I dont know. It sure looks like the government needs to look into it.
In the town where I used to live there are more sleepy's than Starbucks. In fact 2 of them are across the street from one another (not quite directly, they miss by around 40 yards) and yet another no more than 3/4 of a mile away. And between them is a rock-a-way bedding. Do people in Lynbrook go through that many mattresses??? or is the profits so extreme they only need to sell 2 a week, cause that's all I see them moving.
And then there's the price. It's a big pillow with some wood and springs inside. What the heck is the difference between a $500 mattress and a $3,000 mattress?
What the hell am I missing???!!!
(04-16-2010, 12:07 PM)Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote: this whole bed thing... I dont know. It sure looks like the government needs to look into it.
In the town where I used to live there are more sleepy's than Starbucks. In fact 2 of them are across the street from one another (not quite directly, they miss by around 40 yards) and yet another no more than 3/4 of a mile away. And between them is a rock-a-way bedding. Do people in Lynbrook go through that many mattresses??? or is the profits so extreme they only need to sell 2 a week, cause that's all I see them moving.
And then there's the price. It's a big pillow with some wood and springs inside. What the heck is the difference between a $500 mattress and a $3,000 mattress?
What the hell am I missing???!!!

i don't know. lol. it sure seems like there must be a HUGE markup in beds. for sure. but this will be the 4th we've bought in 10 years. one we got upgraded because it just wasn't comfortable. then we decided when that one was wore out that it was time for a bigger size. now we have the right size, but ours looks like a mountain, with a giant hump in the middle where we don't lay. it's huge. so i hope that when i invest in one, a good one, that it will at least last a while. a long while.
My wife is in the bed business and the sleep number is the most returned bed. But if you want a great bed we have all Sealy Temperpedics of various styles in our house and all rock. From what I know from my wife Stearns and Foster and Sealy are the way to go. Forget the rest. You can give my wife a call if you have any questions.
(04-16-2010, 01:26 PM)US_Tank Wrote: My wife is in the bed business and the sleep number is the most returned bed. But if you want a great bed we have all Sealy Temperpedics of various styles in our house and all rock. From what I know from my wife Stearns and Foster and Sealy are the way to go. Forget the rest. You can give my wife a call if you have any questions.

Forget what Tank says, I asked his wife many a times to test my mattress out with me and she never did.Tongue
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Furniture markup ranges from 100% to 500% over wholesale. Mattresses lend themselves to small manufacturing companies with their own chain of storefronts, since that basically DOUBLES those margins . . . and they can be staffed with commission only sales.

What you really have to watch out for is reskins. Some of these small companies take old, filthy, discarded mattresses and rehab them for resale with little more than a new fabric cover and some extra padding. Stick with a name brand.

My next bed, I'm going back to a waterbed, but this time one of the higher tech waveless, fabric covered tube ones. Cool in summer, warm in winter, no pressure points, infinitely adjustable firmness level, and best of all for me, they're all seven feet long.

Only problem is the beds they come in. It's harder'n hell to find one that doesn't look like it comes with love beads, patchouli oil, and a bong smoking dreadlocked hippie pre-installed.

"Summer of Love on line three, sir. They want their 'groovy bed' back." Rolleyes

Had a contemporary Italian one back in Spokane that was fully upholstered in black leather. Women's panties used to just fly right off their bodies at the sight of it. I really loved that bed! Cool
NANP™
Viking1
I miss my waterbed. But I do love my Tempurpedic.
(04-16-2010, 06:03 PM)US_Tank Wrote: I miss my waterbed. But I do love my Tempurpedic.

Water beds are nice to sleep on, but not the best for "relations" so to speak. Bounce