StogieChat Cigar Forum
Give Me A F'ing Break!!!!! - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics & Issues (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Nothing About Cigars (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Give Me A F'ing Break!!!!! (/thread-13147.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- ColbyPants - 06-04-2007

Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:
ColbyPants Wrote:
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:and smashing a two year old girl through the side of a building is a political statement. 

ITs easy.  We are better than they are.  And while what happened is horrific and sad, We will not stoop anywhere down closer to their level.

TomC
sometimes to slaughter the swine you've got to get down in the mud.  sad fact but true.  i admire your views on people man and wish i could harbor your optimism about the human condition but i just can't.

I can respect that feeling believe me,  It does seem to be harder and harder to keep the faith (in humanity in general) sometimes. 

Please in my arguments above dont beleive for one minute that I understand  the feelings and response of the others in this thread, they are all true human feelings and quite understandable.  I just think you gotta take the high road here, as hard as it is to do.

TomC

- Tonto - 06-04-2007

ColbyPants Wrote:I am not condoning terrorist acts, and I am fucking sick of people equating holding The US GOVERNMENT to a higher standard than terrorist organizations as condoning their actions........

TomC
But that is exactly what they're doing.

[user=96]ColbyPants[/user] wrote:
Quote: It is implicitly my fault as an american citizen if I let my government get away with human rights violations without question, as I had a part in electing these officials.  I keep hearing about how we are better than the terrorists.  Prove it.  Make the whole process utterly transparent.  We have this neat thing in the US called due process.  If they are guilty, theyll get theres.  Do we not trust the system??   Seems to me we don't.  When we stop with the innocent until proven guilty rap, gotta say its a sad day for this country.

All men are created equal.  Except Immigrants.  Illegals.  The accused.  Hmmm... dont remember that being the way it was written?

You guys can have your police state.

I'll move.

TomC
Where is your proof of these violations? You talk about "due process" for the terrorists, but condemn the US right off the bat and give the terrorists the benifit of doubt.

Quote:...........I keep hearing about how we are better than the terrorists.  Prove it.  Make the whole process utterly transparent.  We have this neat thing in the US called due process.  If they are guilty, theyll get theres.  Do we not trust the system??   Seems to me we don't.  When we stop with the innocent until proven guilty rap, gotta say its a sad day for this country...........

Not when the "people" in the system would rather blame the US gov't for 9/11 rather than the actual terrorists.

Not when the "people" in the system try to prevent our troops from fighting the enemy by denying them ammo, armour, first aid supplies, etc...."slow bleed" they called it.

Quote:......All men are created equal.  Except Immigrants.  Illegals.  The accused.  Hmmm... dont remember that being the way it was written?

I'll move.

TomC

Last time I checked the books, entering the US illegally IS/WAS a criminal offense.  Do we give these law breakers a "gimme"? Do I get to go rob a store & get a freebie? I don't think so.

Legal immigrants, of course, are welcomed.

- Tonto - 06-04-2007

Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
discdog Wrote:
discdog Wrote:Tom it is pretty well documented, but I can help break it down:

Us - Play loud music               

They - Tie prisoner to chairs and beat them

Us - Sleep deprivation

They- Beat prisoners unconscious, then douse with water and apply electricity to make sure they're awake

Us - Strip them down to their skivvies and get in a pile, while walking around barking & embarrassing them

They - Cut of heads

Yeah, I can see the similarities. We get just what we deserve, it's all our fault, we're bringing it on ourselves, the rest of the world hates us.

Most of the torture we do, we inflict upon ourselves. I vaguely remember it as my 20's. (Sans the skivvies in a pile thing) It's also only effective on older detainees, for some reason the younger crowd doesn't seem as affected. Who'd a thunk it?

Thank God we have Liberals in this country who seem to have all the answers, but for some reason, they just come off as sounding like myrmidons.  
[winner]i am sooooo moving to georgia. 
Quote:You've got the books and we have the room!
my wife has already picked out about two dozen properties.  me i'm looking for the georgia peaches.  Smile
What about me?  You'd leave me all alone to fight the massing hoads? Confusedhock:
the houses are huge bro.  bring the clan.
 Smile 

Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
ColbyPants Wrote:I am not condoning terrorist acts, and [color="blue"]I am fucking sick of people equating holding The US GOVERNMENT to a higher standard than terrorist organizations as condoning their actions[/color]........

TomC
But that is exactly what they're doing.

Quote: It is implicitly my fault as an american citizen if[color="blue"] I let my government get away with human rights violations without question,[/color] as I had a part in electing these officials.  I keep hearing about how we are better than the terrorists.  [color="blue"]Prove it[/color].  Make the whole process utterly transparent.  We have this neat thing in the US called due process.  If they are guilty, theyll get theres.  [color="black"]Do we not trust the system??[/color]   Seems to me we don't.  When we stop with the innocent until proven guilty rap, gotta say its a sad day for this country.

All men are created equal.  Except Immigrants.  Illegals.  The accused.  Hmmm... dont remember that being the way it was written?

I'll move.

TomC
Where is your proof of these violations? You talk about "due process" for the terrorists, but condemn the US right off the bat and give the terrorists the benifit of doubt.

Quote:...........I keep hearing about how we are better than the terrorists.  Prove it.  Make the whole process utterly transparent.  We have this neat thing in the US called due process.  If they are guilty, theyll get theres.  [color="blue"]Do we not trust the system??[/color]   Seems to me we don't.  When we stop with the innocent until proven guilty rap, gotta say its a sad day for this country...........

Not when the "people" in the system would rather blame the US gov't for 9/11 rather than the actual terrorists.

Not when the "people" in the system try to prevent our troops from fighting the enemy by denying them ammo, armour, first aid supplies, etc...."slow bleed" they called it.

Quote:......All men are created equal.  [color="blue"]Except Immigrants.  Illegals.  [color="black"]The accused.[/color]  Hmmm... dont remember that being the way it was written?
[/color]

I'll move.

TomC

Last time I checked the books, entering the US illegally IS/WAS a criminal offense.  Do we give these law breakers a "gimme"? Do I get to go rob a store & get a freebie? I don't think so.

Legal immigrants, of course, are welcomed.

1) no holding the Us to higher standard is saying the Us is better than terrorists, not condoning thier actions.  I want the terrorists punsihed as much as you do, just want to make sure its done legally.

2)  I am not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt.  I am asking questions.  the original post that was responded to, I said the following:

"Last time I checked Interrogation meant to question somone.  If that is the case, why cant we do this in th united states?  Why do we have to ship people all over the planet?  Is there something going on thats more than asking questions?  What is it, and why cant it be done in the US?"

I am not assuming there is anything wrong going on.  I am just curious to the methodology, and I so I asked a few questions.  You will also not that I edited the line you highlighted to lesson the tone of the statement.  I was kind of annoyed by the phrasing of the post I was replying to, and posted before proofreading.

3)  I edited that line too.  Yes if Illegal immigrants are caught, feel free to prosecute them and hold them within the law, as illegal immigrants.  Though, you do have to go through due process with illegal immigrants, just like everyone else.  Which is what I meant by inluding them originally.

TomC

- discdog - 06-04-2007

Unclassified by the DoD. I got this by using Google and went to the article from CBS.  There are tons of articles, but I wanted one from a more "worldly" source. There are also plenty from NY Times, BBC, Time, and several others.

[Image: 0623041doj6.gif]

Is this the torture you are referring to? This was the standard order for the methods used by OUR interrogators. Are there a few who went overboard. Yep. Guess where there at.  Levanworth.  Are we supposed to condemn the entire military because of these few instances? I hope you said NO. Just the same as we don't condemn a whole society for the actions of a few (thousand) militant individuals whose main goal in there (hopefully) short lives is to anihilate us.

Tom, you may not condone the terrorists actions, but neither do you sound like you support the US. If this is not the case, sorry for the misunderstanding, that's just the way it came across in print.

I'm still interested in where to find all these "torture" articles I hear about. The ones I described above don't sound like torture, mind games, yes, but not torture. Ask any Vietman, Korean, WWII POW about torture, then you'll a picture of what I view this of.

Quote:Tom, you may not condone the terrorists actions, but neither do you sound like you support the US. If this is not the case, sorry for the misunderstanding, that's just the way it came across in print.

I repeat, I wasnt clear enough when I came across originally.  I was not acusing the us govt of anything.  I was just curious to why they did not detain these people stateside.  I started with questions, and in my second post, I phrased things badly.

as for the quote in the box above, in the interest of maintaining friendship, I am going to pretend you didnt write that.  I am going to chalk it up to the divisive times we live in, but that was very hurtful.

TomC

- discdog - 06-04-2007

Tom, the second part of that quote you posted "should" cover any hurt feelings. But this is a thread full of personal opinions, and not being Rob or Jim, I'm not polished enough as a speaker to say anything other than what comes into my head. Most people who know me in the real world call me (lovingly, I might add) the "Politician". But it's not because I double speak or try to phrase things properly. It's for being blunt and saying what's on my mind.

I generally refrain from participating in these types of threads as I know well enough that something is going to be said that pisses someone else off, and when I participate, that's normally me. But this topic especially will draw me in every time and I will say what I think, just like everyone else.

All that said, I don't apologize for my opinion. Nor do I think anyone else should. If you don't believe what you (not you personally) say, that's the only way your opinion can be changed. Only then should you (again, not you personally) ever apologize.

discdog Wrote:Tom, the second part of that quote you posted "should" cover any hurt feelings. But this is a thread full of personal opinions, and not being Rob or Jim, I'm not polished enough as a speaker to say anything other than what comes into my head. Most people who know me in the real world call me (lovingly, I might add) the "Politician". But it's not because I double speak or try to phrase things properly. It's for being blunt and saying what's on my mind.

I generally refrain from participating in these types of threads as I know well enough that something is going to be said that pisses someone else off, and when I participate, that's normally me. But this topic especially will draw me in every time and I will say what I think, just like everyone else.

All that said, I don't apologize for my opinion. Nor do I think anyone else should. If you don't believe what you (not you personally) say, that's the only way your opinion can be changed. Only then should you (again, not you personally) ever apologize.

Because you dont seem to be the type of person who is hurtful inentionally, I really dont take as much offense as I would otherwise.  My biggest problem with the comment is simple.  In any of my thoughts and opinions here, I have never comment on you (or robs or Jans) personal demeaner in regard.  It hurt me because that is a personal shot to me.  The one thing I take for granted when we get in these political debates is this:  this country is the best, and we love it (and that said the fact that we are all "for the US" is beyond question, and thus why your comment shocked and saddened me).  I mean there are so many other countries (say, Cuba for exzample) where history has shown that if you disagree with the countrys stance on something, you get jail time.  Just because my vision for the country diverges from yours, and sometimes I find certain values more important than you do, does not mean I do not support the US.  Frankly our disagreements on how detainees are handled aside, the point the fact I have to defend my patriotism really depresses the fuck outa me.  I didnt think it was an issue.  You are entitled to your opinion, which I hold in high regard, even when I disagree.  Thats why that hurt, and still does.

TomC

- discdog - 06-04-2007

Tom you are correct that I don't intentionally set out to hurt or offend anyone. If you re-read the post you are referring to, I was not questioning your patriotism, merely giving my opinion as to how I felt you were coming across to me.

I know full & well that politcally, we will probably never see things the same. For whatever reason, we do not and will not see things the same. But even knowing that, I've always respected your the fact that you stand up for what you believe, in the old days, we called that values. Even though I don't understand them, with your conviction, I will and do respect them.

As for the response directed at you, I'm not sure how else I could have answered your question without being personal. Someone else, hell anyone else could probably see 7 different ways that I could have responded, but I just tend to be that dense. Sorry, for making it personal.

discdog Wrote:Tom you are correct that I don't intentionally set out to hurt or offend anyone. If you re-read the post you are referring to, I was not questioning your patriotism, merely giving my opinion as to how I felt you were coming across to me.

I know full & well that politcally, we will probably never see things the same. For whatever reason, we do not and will not see things the same. But even knowing that, I've always respected your the fact that you stand up for what you believe, in the old days, we called that values. Even though I don't understand them, with your conviction, I will and do respect them.

As for the response directed at you, I'm not sure how else I could have answered your question without being personal. Someone else, hell anyone else could probably see 7 different ways that I could have responded, but I just tend to be that dense. Sorry, for making it personal.

okay, its obious you meant now harm, so none taken.  Its all good man.  now that that is all cleared up, fire away like normal! Isnt it great that we can resolve these kinda things like adults here on StogieChat??

Smile

TomC

PS  DD man PM me your addy, I been meaning to send you something, but I lost it.