Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tupper-dor vs. old cigar box?
 We're talking short term storage here, no more than a month at most (though that Acid has been there for 4-5 months now). As you can see, I'm using an old cigar box. While it's a fairly well constructed cigar box, it's far from a humi. However, it is cedar lined and has just a bit more character than tupperware Smile

I just wonder if I'm better off with a tupper-dor rather than this box. As you can see, I toss in a water pillow to add some humidity. I'm guessing, but our house is pretty dry in the winter. The box sits atop my desk in the home office. Option 2...I could simply store the small supply in a ziploc and then toss in the cigar box.

I need to pick up a small digital hygrometer but until then...I appreciate any thoughts.

[Image: picture.JPG]

Tupperdore may have less character, but you will get a better seal than you would with the old cigar box.

Also, I don't smoke flavored cigars, but you may want to keep the Acid away from the other sticks.

Good luck!Big Grin
Magnum PI Wrote:Tupperdore may have less character, but you will get a better seal than you would with the old cigar box.

Also, I don't smoke flavored cigars, but you may want to keep the Acid away from the other sticks.

Good luck!Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback Magnum. I hadn't even considered the flavored stick amongst the others. It's in a tube, but better safe than sorry. I had a buddy give me several Acids last fall. they really aren't all that bad but I don't have much experience with flavored cigars. However, I now find them to be too sweet for my taste. It seems that the tobacco itself isn't that overpowering with the sweet flavor, but the taste of the stick itself on my lips is what gets me...kinda like someone put 10 sweet-n-lo's in your coffee.
patrickb Wrote:
Magnum PI Wrote:Tupperdore may have less character, but you will get a better seal than you would with the old cigar box.

Good luck!Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback Magnum. I hadn't even considered the flavored stick amongst the others. It's in a tube, but better safe than sorry. I had a buddy give me several Acid. I liked them at first but now find them to be way too sweet...kinda like someone put 10 sweet-n-lo's in your coffee.

I can't tell from the pic, but it looks like the box has a seal. Have you tried seasoning the box?

Alss, you want to pick up a digital Hygrometer.

And Magnum is quite right, keep the flavored stuff in a seperate box/tupperware. Otherwise you run the risk of having your "regular" cigars pick up the Acid/flavored taste. I keep a small humi of flavored sticks for my mother-in-law. She likes to smoke them when she comes over in the spring & summer.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
patrickb Wrote:

Good luck!Big Grin
Thanks for the feedback Magnum. I hadn't even considered the flavored stick amongst the others. It's in a tube, but better safe than sorry. I had a buddy give me several Acids last fall. they really aren't all that bad but I don't have much experience with flavored cigars. However, I now find them to be too sweet for my taste. It seems that the tobacco itself isn't that overpowering with the sweet flavor, but the taste of the stick itself on my lips is what gets me...kinda like someone put 10 sweet-n-lo's in your coffee.
Tupper-dor the way to go. Everyone tries the acid's cool for the first couple of minutes then never again.
Check out this thread by Mario on building a coolerdor...

http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=5895&forum_id=6&highlight=coolerdor
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.
Lots of good advice has been given. I will add to that with CoolerDOR!!! I have 2 and love the amount of space and the seal.
patrickb Wrote: We're talking short term storage here, no more than a month at most (though that Acid has been there for 4-5 months now). As you can see, I'm using an old cigar box. While it's a fairly well constructed cigar box, it's far from a humi. However, it is cedar lined and has just a bit more character than tupperware Smile

I just wonder if I'm better off with a tupper-dor rather than this box. As you can see, I toss in a water pillow to add some humidity. I'm guessing, but our house is pretty dry in the winter. The box sits atop my desk in the home office. Option 2...I could simply store the small supply in a ziploc and then toss in the cigar box.

I need to pick up a small digital hygrometer but until then...I appreciate any thoughts.

You are doing fine with this box. Unless you have or plan on getting a lot more cigars this is good to go. Very well made and will give you a seal that will work just fine. Your source of moisture is fine, distilled water only for that. Oh and has been mentioned, get that flavored cigar away from anything you really want to smoke, now!   Smile
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
[user=3]lz6[/user] wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh and has been mentioned, get that flavored cigar away from anything you really want to smoke, now!   Smile

Done.  Thanks for pointing that one out guys. It'd be a shame to taint those two RP Vintage stogies.