Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I almost burned down my house
I don't believe in burning garbage (boxes and such) in my fireplace, but sometimes if I have a fire going I will toss in a box or 2. Deb did some cleaning up and had 8 or 9 boxes she asked me to burn. I dont know why but I said OK. Somewhere shortly after getting the boxes into a raging fire while adding another box I hit the flue handle and shut down the chimney. Completely. The first thing I noticed was flames licking up the outside of my fireplace. I jumped back and just as I said "something's wrong" the smoke alarms went off. I had no idea what happened but reasoned it was the damper but it was too hot & too much fire to stick my hands in. I closed the fire doors to the fire place and asked Deb to go outside and see if there was smoke coming from the chimney.

Closing the fireplace doors helped to quell the fire as it starved for air. I grabbed a glove and sure enough found the problem. I opened it back up and everything was fine. But now everything smells of smoke and there's this black grease-like stuff on some of the furniture. This whole thing only took maybe 3 minutes but man, what a 3 minutes it was. Between Debbi and her daughter I felt like Moe and was wondering where Curly and Larry were when I needed them.
Skip, obviously we are going to need to get you some professional help.....Smile 
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Glad your ok,now get some of that orange cleaner and start smoking cigars for the smell.
I read the topic and thought of this immediately

[Image: 0120_x011.jpg]

Glad you and Deb are OK. 
ashman Wrote:I read the topic and thought of this immediately

[Image: 0120_x011.jpg]

Glad you and Deb are OK. 
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  [lol][ROTF]
LOL!!!

Well, Deb & I went out for a few drinks and a cigar or 2.

We saw the movie "room 1408" at the shop, then came home and everything is fine. My ozone air cleaner did a fantastic job!
Glad everythings OK. It could have been ugly.

Burnin down the house, da du da dun, my house. LOL

[Image: rscover2.jpg]

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Just a FYI --

Most homeowners insurance policies stipulate that the homeowner will have at least one of these on every floor of the house:

[Image: bsr-a500.jpg]

If the homeowner does not have one on every floor of the house, and the house burns down -- the insurer is not required to pay claims on said insurance policy.

A fire extinguisher costs -- $20?

There are some that do. I have just kept them in each corner of the house just because anyway. Mine doesn't requier. I bet with johns boat background he has them also has them. I have kept 4 in my house for 21 years. I even  have them certified every year. You just bought that awesome house. Are you all moved in yet? Does your house have an automatic Ansul system plumbed thru the house? I have seen them do that in some larger and different city codes for houses over a specific Qf.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Technically, we're moved in. In reality -- we're still living out of boxes and we haven't bought/made any furniture yet. We closed bare floor, and we're near the end of installing oak and travertine.

I've been putting the floor down 10 hours a day since X-mas Eve! I just want to find the people who make those DIY shows that make this stuff look easy and smack them.

On the plus side, we're getting better quality work done than we could afford by hiring the pros. We've saved massive $$$$. And I've lost 70 pounds.

We should be done with the floor (Hoo-Ah!) in two weeks. Then I need to get cracking making Plantation Shutters before it gets too flippin' hot. We're also mostly done with landscaping, but I need to buy a pallet of concrete block to make a raised garden and outdoor BBQ. (We'll tile it with the extra travertine.) I just bought a moulding machine, so I'll be able to put down some new baseboard and crown the ceiling as soon as I get some knives made.

And to answer your question, no -- the house isn't plumbed with any kind of fire suppression equipment. So it's extinguishers everywhere. (And don't forget to put one near the dust collection system in your shop, if you have one.)