Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Camacho 10th Aniversary 8/11
I'm having one of the ones I got from Robbie as my midweeker right now, and am thinking these need a little nappage. Sort of a dry-cured tobacco, toasty flavor with . . . well, with an unpleasant hint of cigarette.

Draw's a bit loose, lots of smoke, seems to have a pretty dang high nicotine content . . . Confusedhock: . . . but I'm looking for more "bottom" to the profile and not finding it. Knowing some of the sticks Don favors, I'm not surprised he was underwhelmed.

That's okay. Robbie's having a Camacho event on the 10th. Maybe they'll have a deal on Diploma 11/18's. Now, THERE'S a "seatbelts required" stogie!

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
Gets better past the band . . . a little thin and toasty still, but peppery and more balanced. I think they just need more time.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
Not A Nice Person Wrote:Gets better past the band . . . a little thin and toasty still, but peppery and more balanced. I think they just need more time.

NANP™
[cigar]
Wink
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Yeah,maybe a nap will help em'.
Great review Don - love the pictures.

Have to agree with what has been said here.  Smoked one last night in this size.  Well made cigar.  Tons and tons of smoke.  Mild cigar, especially when compared to the Diploma - which, if you haven't smoked a Diploma, those can knock you out. 

I've never cared much for Camachos, but I like this line and the Diplomas. 

NANP, how do the Diplomas and 10th Anni compare to the Scorpions?  Any thoughts?
[user=624]Magnum PI[/user] wrote:
Quote:NANP, how do the Diplomas and 10th Anni compare to the Scorpions?  Any thoughts?

I keep meaning to do a review on the Scorpions, and I just can't put the experience of smoking one into words . . . even after, like, five of 'em so far! [lol]

But basically, the Scorpion and Diploma are the same flavor profile, same strength . . . but the extra aging on the Scorpion takes it out of the Diploma's "dragster off the line" experience and more into a "Ferrari purring next to you at a stoplight" one. Big Grin

It smokes cooler and slower, and the profile is smoothed out . . . but the power is still ALL there, and you can kind of feel it lurking. Waiting to pounce!

The Diploma, the first half is like, "Holy crap! Where's my damn seat belt?" and then about halfway in it all just sort of melds together into a really amazing smoke . . . the Scorpion starts out at that place, and then gradually amps up.

The 10th, well, it's just not anything like either one, not in profile, not in strength, not in body. I'm really kind of amazed they didn't play to their strengths and what they're known for . . . it sorta tastes to me like they were going more for a Davidoff or Don Carlos style profile with this one, and just flat missed. I'm hoping these come together a good bit more with some nap time, but right now, the one I had just seemed off. Like a Criollo or a Cuban during its "sick" period off.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
You really think that the 10th anniversary is mild?  It certainly isn't Diploma or Triple Maduro type of strength, but I classify it more as medium to medium-full, on a general scale, not comparing it to other Camachos (or anything from Litto).  IMHO I think that there is a lot of complexity of flavors, which also makes up for anything lacking in strength, plus it is really good to see how complex of a cigar Christian can make without going overboard on strength.  I find myself smoking them both as the first cigar of the day, but also able to enjoy them mid-day or even before dinner.  After a big meal it isn't full enough, but there are other cigars for that. 

I CERTAINLY DO NOT mean to offend, just respectfully commenting on my thoughts on this cigar in response to your excellent review. 
[Image: CRA_ambassador_seal-smaller.jpg]
Join CRA Today! Click Above!
[Image: RobbieofCordova-2.gif]
Robbie Wrote:You really think that the 10th anniversary is mild?  It certainly isn't Diploma or Triple Maduro type of strength, but I classify it more as medium to medium-full, on a general scale, not comparing it to other Camachos (or anything from Litto).  IMHO I think that there is a lot of complexity of flavors, which also makes up for anything lacking in strength, plus it is really good to see how complex of a cigar Christian can make without going overboard on strength.  I find myself smoking them both as the first cigar of the day, but also able to enjoy them mid-day or even before dinner.  After a big meal it isn't full enough, but there are other cigars for that. 

I CERTAINLY DO NOT mean to offend, just respectfully commenting on my thoughts on this cigar in response to your excellent review. 

Robbie, its going to take a hell of a lot more than that to offend any of us idiots around here.  Big Grin

I haven't had the Scorpion, but I do love the Diploma line.  Maybe its just not accurate to compare the 10th Anni to the Diploma and Scorpion - but I couldn't help but draw the comparison.  To me, it seems to taste like a milder Diploma, which I like.  The 10th Anni and Diploma both have a regular place in my humi.

Is the Scorpion the same blend as the Diploma, just in a Perfecto shape?

*bump*

I'm smoking another 10th Anniv. 11/18 with my morning coffee today, and I just have to say, after a couple months naptime acclimating to my preferred rH . . . this is a GREAT freakin' cigar. Yum!

Smooth, mild to medium, great draw, tons of smoke, and a peppery spice undertone that gets good and strong in the last half. Really, really enjoying it. BIG difference from my first experience with one.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1