Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the hydra
ok, despite the fact that i have heard more than one horror story, i have decided to give this hydra a try. anyone here that uses it with extra fans, where do you place the extra fans? and how did you mount them? i'm trying to avoid putting screws in my box, mainly because i just don't want to, but what other options are there? thanks for any advice.
You can use screws, but you better do your research. If your cabinet has Spanish ceder, you need to use screws that wont rust out. Spanish ceder can deteriorate regular steel screws. They need to be made of brass, or stainless steel may work. Play it safe and do your research.
fishhound Wrote:You can use screws, but you better do your research. If your cabinet has Spanish ceder, you need to use screws that wont rust out. Spanish ceder can deteriorate regular steel screws. They need to be made of brass, or stainless steel may work. Play it safe and do your research.
what else can i use fish? do you have any other recommendations? i don't want to use screws at all, i was actually hoping to come up with something with double sided tape or velco. but i'm not sure how that will hold up in the humidity and such. plus, i just don't really want to screw into my antietam or my new box. i'm sure i can come up with something else.
What other story other then tanks? I just love them because of the fans. How many fans did you get?  I don't think you can get around tacks or small stainless screws. That's what all the humi  makers use to mount interior apps. I do know you need spacers behind them it you mount flush to draw the air. I am thinking mine out now as to location on a double stack. I think most are at the top. You could try the rear facing down to create a turbulant circular air pattern to move from top to bottom is what I might do. That way your small holes would never show if you changed anything.  All you need is 2 per fan. Good luck man. T

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

terry, you bring up a darn good point i was totally overlooking. i need a little space behind it. that's why i come to you guys, my friends, with these things. the other horror story i read wasn't as bad as tanks, and i think it was even before the unit was released. just another isolated incident, but these are what seem to stick out in my mind, and i haven't heard all that much good about it either, if that makes sense. so far i love mine. seems to run really nice, i love that you can calibrate it, i got 2 extra fans for it, and it seems really nice. i was just trying to figure out a way to do this without making it a big project. i'm thinking i'm actually going to remove the drawers from my antietam, put my singles in my new box

http://www.neptunecigar.com/accessories/cigaraccessory.asp?id=1970

and then i'll have more box storage in my antietam. i was thinking up putting them on the roof, but i don't think the cord is long enough, and i don't really want to manufacture a new one. so they'll probably just go on the sides, about halfway up.  i've got to do some thinking here.
You would have caught the spacers, it's what we do. You can hear it slow down. I have been mulling over my fan install for 3 months. I hope you do better then me. LOL Quality Importers own the Hydra, they also make your humi. I can call and ask how they install the fans, is they do any before they go out. It seems like we have talked about the humi and the manuf before. HHHMMMMMMMMM I hate my life.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

I have been using my hydra for about 3 months and have had no problems... my only complaint is that the alarm goes off way too early when the tank still has water in it, sometimes it's still 3/4 full.  Other than that, I love the digital display for the humidity setting and the hygrometer.  I don't use the extra fan and have seen no need for it since I use another hygrometer in the top drawer that shows good humidification.
tafdom Wrote:You would have caught the spacers, it's what we do. You can hear it slow down. I have been mulling over my fan install for 3 months. I hope you do better then me. LOL Quality Importers own the Hydra, they also make your humi. I can call and ask how they install the fans, is they do any before they go out. It seems like we have talked about the humi and the manuf before. HHHMMMMMMMMM I hate my life.
yeah, we have gone through all this before. the dang thing beeped ALL NIGHT. you could pretty much set your watch by it, every 2 hours. finally i just unplugged it and decided to try again today. if you do happen to all them t, let me know what they say about where to put these and how to put these in there, i'd really appreciate that. but i hope i can get this thing to stop beeping today. i thought since i was seasoning it, the first time it went off it might really need water, so i took it apart and attempted to put water in it. but it was full. so i thought it was just a glitch and plugged it back in. no luck there either. just kept going off. here's to hoping today is a better day, and tonight is a better night.
That does concern me because tanks did the same thing at seasoning with the alarm.  My first thought was his was a defect causing his failure.  Either way I see it as a prob. His did stop I think and maybe it is just the demand on it. Are you helping to speed it up by putting a bowl of solution or water in it?   I just tried to call to ask some questions on the issues and they are closed . I still love the product for the fans hands down.

tafdom Wrote:That does concern me because tanks did the same thing at seasoning with the alarm.  My first thought was his was a defect causing his failure.  Either way I see it as a prob. His did stop I think and maybe it is just the demand on it. Are you helping to speed it up by putting a bowl of solution or water in it?   I just tried to call to ask some questions on the issues and they are closed . I still love the product for the fans hands down.
I thought of the same thing and added a damp paper towel in an open bag... This Hydra hasn't alarmed yet, it was the one I have in a smaller humi that I will soon be parting with... Maybe I will use both Hydras in the Antietam.  For the record, I now have 2 Hydra's, an Oasis XL and an Oasis XLII.  I'll probably run the 2 Oasis units in my Havana Cafe unit.