Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humidor likes to stay at 75% RH
I have a 40ct humidor that I seasoned in and calibrated the hygrometer to 75% RH with the salt test. The humidor is stored in a approximate 70 degrees F but I can not get the hygrometer to read less than 75% RH. I do not want to open the humi for a hour or so and keep doing that every day. I am hoping that someone might have had the same problem and can give me a answer. I would hate to lose my secret stash due to my mistake. Below is the method that I used to season everything.

Humi Season Meathod:
Took a bowl of distilled water and let it sit in the humi for a day, cleaned out the junk from the humi and then got a clean new sponge and doused it with distilled water and rang it out until it was lightly damp. I then wiped down the entire humi and the wood did not change color from the sponge wipe down. I then let the hygrometer sit out for 3 hours and then reinstalled it and closed up the humi for a day. After 24 hours it was reading 70% RH but after putting in @ 35 stogies and letting them sit for a week I went to get one and the hygrometer was reading 75% RH. I put in a different humistone and it still stays at 75% RH. Wondering if anyone has a hint of what I am /did wrong. I would like to keep it at @68-79% RH.

Hygrometer Test Meathod:
Placed the hygrometer in a plastic bag along with a tablespoon of salt in a lid that had some distilled water in it to make it look like wet sand. I let it sit for 8-10 hours and came back and it was reading 80% RH and then I adjusted it down to 75% RH. After adjusting it I let it sit out for 4 hours to acclimate to room temp and then put it back into the bag. After waiting 8 hours I checked it again and it was reading 70% RH. Installed it into the humi.

Humistone season method:
Put a cup of distilled water in a measuring cup and put the humistone in there completely submerged for 3 mins. I removed it from the distilled water and shook the excess water out and then wiped it dry with paper towels. Installed it into the humi.

Confusedhock:

Some times they just time to stabilize. As the temperature rises the moisture that the wood is holding is released raising the RH. Take out the humistone for a day you don't need to induce additional moisture. I had the same thing happen on two different humidors and after a few weeks things leveled out. You don't want to leave the cigars exposed to moisture much above 70% for extended periods. You can always throw them in a zip lock bag and leave them in the Humidor while things stabilize.
After seasoning a humidor no cigars should be added for at LEAST 24 hrs.I'd take the cigars out and then close it for a day and check your reading,if it's still high keep it open for half a day then close it for another day and take a reading, it should have stabilized.
i've never done the salt test, but i'm pretty sure that your hygro should read 75 after the salt test, you shouldn't have adjusted it from there. so by that theory, your humi is actually at more like 80. now what are you using for a hygrometer? is it digital, or analog? if it's analog, it's just for looks. they are pretty, but not very functional. if it's digital, what does it read when you sit it out on the counter? Can you get it below 75 that way? maybe there is something wrong with it? if none of this solves your issue, stick something in that humi to crack it open, like a small flat bladed screwdriver. just open it a crack, and let it air out slowly for a day or 2, and check it again.
I edited the post.  The salt test read 80 and I adjusted it down to 75.  I thought about cracking the humi but I need to get a pocket pillow first to keep the jewels in the correct setting.  As for the hygrometer, it is analog for right now, I plan on getting a digital here shortly.
Snapperhead Wrote:I edited the post.  The salt test read 80 and I adjusted it down to 75.  I thought about cracking the humi but I need to get a pocket pillow first to keep the jewels in the correct setting.  As for the hygrometer, it is analog for right now, I plan on getting a digital here shortly.
ah, ok, makes sense now. but i would ditch that analog before you get to worrying about doing too much more. i think you can usually pick them up in the hardware department at wal mart for a couple bucks. when you leave it out on the counter, does it drop below 75? i had that problem with an analog that i kept in a travel humi of mine, it actually wouldn't go below wherever i calibrated it. it was weird.
Slow down with this process, seasoning even a reasonably good humidor should take at a minimum, 5 days. Salt test, eh, depending on your hygrometer the final reading may be realistic or not. Scott is giving you good advice. You put your cigars at risk way to early in the process with a new humidor. Take it slow, with time and patience you will know simply by holding one of your cigars in your hand how things are going. 
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Oh, and,  I'm not sure what a "secret stash" is.....................:?
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
lz6 Wrote:Oh, and,  I'm not sure what a "secret stash" is.....................:?

Ganja mahn!!!! Big Grin

Trash the anolog ASAP and go digital. I was assuming you had a digital hygo.[doh]