Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
humidor
MK 199 Wrote:Hows the new cooler coming along Pete?
    It's been bleached out, rinsed out, and dried out... but not in use yet.  I found that 4 of those spanish cedar trays (12.5" X 7.5") should fit VERY well in the opening of that cooler (31" X 13").  So, I'm looking to put a removable shelf on the top of the cooler (it'll be the first thing you see when you open it) where the trays will reside.  This is where I intend to store my singles for ready-access.  When the shelf is removed, it'll allow access to my box storage below.  (I hope you can follow considering my awful explanation :?). 

Anyway, the shelves are on order, and should arrive this coming week.  I hope to be moved into the new cooler by next weekend.  I'll post pics when I am finished. 

Did you end up buying one of those coolers, as well?
Not A Nice Person Wrote:I'm going to take a slightly different tack here . . . everyone always says "buy a cooler, buy a cooler" but I think a cooler is and should be your SECOND humi---because part of the fun in this is the stuff. It really does add something to the whole experience, to have a nicely made chest to pick your nightly cigar from, and it's a natural part of the growth process in this madness of ours to want, and get one.

So get a humi you like the looks of and will be proud to have around . . . but go a little bigger than that one you're looking at now. Sooner or later, you're going to find a cigar you just have to have a whole box of you because you like it so much.

And right after you do THAT, you're going to find an incredible deal you just can't pass up on another box . . . and then where will you be? Tongue

I have a similar-sized humidor Macallan gifted me a couple years ago . . . I've managed to get as many as three boxes in the bottom compartment and currently have TWO Camacho boxes sitting on top of it with water pillows in them. If I weren't buying a house with a closet I plan to turn into a walkin, I'd definitely be shopping for a cooler right now---but I'd still want my desktop for daily use and display.

So yes, get a humidor. But get something a little bigger than that, so you can take advantage of sales and get in on box splits and build up a little bit of a collection. And then, when it starts to get a little full, DON'T get another humi . . . get a BIG ASS cooler. Or bite the bullet and get a cabinet. As far as the one you're looking at, you can get a lot more box for your money . . . if it was me, here's what I'd spend that $150 on:

[Image: HUM-400FL1.gif]

[Image: HUM-400FL2.gif]

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HUM-400FL&Category_Code=LGHUMIDORS&Product_Count=2

Not as fancy, but the same price and a lot bigger. Ought to be able to fit about SIX boxes underneath and about 75 singles in the top tray. That'll keep you going for a bit!

NANP™
[cigar]
Yep, thats the one I've had my eye on for a while... Tongue

"HAVE LONGSHIP, WILL HERF!!!"
Pete Wrote:
    It's been bleached out, rinsed out, and dried out... but not in use yet.  I found that 4 of those spanish cedar trays (12.5" X 7.5") should fit VERY well in the opening of that cooler (31" X 13").  So, I'm looking to put a removable shelf on the top of the cooler (it'll be the first thing you see when you open it) where the trays will reside.  This is where I intend to store my singles for ready-access.  When the shelf is removed, it'll allow access to my box storage below.  (I hope you can follow considering my awful explanation :?). 

Anyway, the shelves are on order, and should arrive this coming week.  I hope to be moved into the new cooler by next weekend.  I'll post pics when I am finished. 

Sounds like you got it all figured out, can't wait to see pics.  And no I havnt gotten one yet, I had a little mishap last week and accidently sat on my girlfriends camera and cracked the screen so I had to buy a $300 camera instead (I was not to happy to say the least), and that kinda took a toll on my funds lol.  Hopefully next week after I get paid I can pick one up (Kmart's prices are a lot lower than most places coolers even when there not on sale).
I have the vicksburg humidor.  i have yet to fill it up.  if you are on that is not buying boxes the foot locker from cheap humidors that NANP is talking about will be perfect
MK 199 Wrote:
Pete Wrote:

Sounds like you got it all figured out, can't wait to see pics.  And no I havnt gotten one yet, I had a little mishap last week and accidently sat on my girlfriends camera and cracked the screen so I had to buy a $300 camera instead (I was not to happy to say the least), and that kinda took a toll on my funds lol.  Hopefully next week after I get paid I can pick one up (Kmart's prices are a lot lower than most places coolers even when there not on sale).
 Check Sams also guys. A few weeks ago they had those big rubbermaids for like 50 bucks. I think its was a 120 quart. Thats what I have and I love it.
in another 3 weeks, a few weeks after the 4th, coolers will be going on dopey-sale. Coolers take a lot of room to inventory and they are seasonal. By mid august you can usually get a $90 cooler for $30. Keep this in mind.

thanks for the info dude