Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sauna
Hey Guys,

I just saw on Craig's List this portable three man dry sauna. I not sure that cedar is the right thing and this may be a weird question. But do you think this sauna could be made into a walk in humidor?????
sounds viable to me... but is it spanish cedar or the other kind (which smalls like your sock drawer)
That's my question to, what kind of cedar. I was hoping someone would know. I guess I could always call the manufacturer. It would be sweet if it were Spanish.
my dad has one of these. all wood, i think his is only a 2 man job, but pretty nice. sits out on his back deck, hasn't been used in ages. his isn't spanish cedar inside. its western red cedar. but i doubt that means all saunas are that way, but i've looked into getting one myself, and it seems to be fairly common. would it be possible to just line it with spanish cedar? i know a lot of desktops and such are actually made like that. just lined with spanish cedar.
I doubt it would be Spanish cedar.   It would have cost about 3x more in price to use Spanish versus a regular cedar.    For a sauna, there would not have been any benefit to use Spanish cedar.

I would be hesitant to store cigars in the red cedar because its resin is known to be slightly poisonous if ingested.   You may be able to cover that wood with a nice hardwood (like mahogany or oak...not pine), or even with Spanish cedar.   That would probably work out fine.   

I'm sure that many can vouch that they have opened boxes of cigars before to have a few with sticky cellophane...its the sap from the box or cedar insert.   The red cedar would do the same thing under 70% humidity and temp over time.   Again, cover it with some hardwood you like.   Not all humidors are spanish cedar...

-Eric

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks alot Eric, excellent information.
I have a 2 man sauna and its not Spanish Cedar.

If you cleaned it many times and then re lined it, re sealed it, I think it could work.
I definitely think its possible, but wouldn't trust it unless I stripped all the existing wood out of it and then re-applied spanish cedar. Plus adding ventilation, lighting, etc, etc ... and at that rate since it appears you have the room for that space, you might as well start fresh and build your own walk-in humidor (lucky bastard! Tongue). Let us know how that turns out..and post info/pics of its transformation if you move foward with it.

Good luck!
I would think that by the time you sealed the Western Red Cedar, which is what's generally used in dry saunas, well enough to keep it from contaminating your cigars, and THEN lined it all with Spanish Cedar, which is actually a type of mahogany and runs about $75 per sheet in plywood form . . . well, shoot. Wouldn't the time and money have been better spent just stickframing and insulating a corner of a room?

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1