Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedro Estevez Torpedo
Torpedo

6 1/8 x 52

Connecticut Wrapper

Note: Let's begin by saying that there is not much information out on these cigars as of yet. They are being sold on line by Habanos y Hermanos out of Florida, and their web page has limited information on them too. Though not a big deterrent for me when buying cigars, I do find it a bit annoying when trying to effectively discuss a specific brand or vitola with others. That being said, the first of these reviews There will be four total is on the Torpedo. We have opted to take a new approach to the reviews in that we are doing a joint review so you the reader get several opinions on the same vitola at the same time and we the reviewers are not influenced by the reviews done by others.

Not too long ago I received a sampler of Pedro Estevez cigars, being sold by Habanos y Hermanos out of Miami, Florida. In this packet was a Torpedo. This looks like most other torpedos of the same a size nothing too outstanding on it, though the wrapper is a very nice wrapper with no blemishes or defects. The cap was a bit loose but that could have been due to handling and shipping nothing really outstandingly bad and not that it would matter as a cutter would fix this issue right off the bat.

The wrapper a standard connecticut wrapper of tea stained paper color, is a delicate thin wrapper with minor veining. The prelight scent is brothy and very lightl hint of pepper. This almost brings to mind the start of a fresh vegetable soup in the making. In the back of the scent is an ever so light suede hint.

The cigar is fairly lightweight, so it is not a densely rolled cigar. The draw is a nice easy draw with a straw flavor with hints of leather, proving the roll is not a densely packed roll. The draw also distributes an undertoned sweetness overall.

The cigar burns nice and even almost laserline to the end. The ash is nicely woven tight and firm with a light gray to white color. The smoke is a nice thick creamy smoke with hints of suede, light pepper and cedar with a touch of citrus and chocolate.

I would welcome any correspondence from HyH with further information on this vitola as I can only guess that the Connecticut wrapper is shade grown Ecuadorean with a Dominican Republic long filler binder and Olor filler. Very much comparable to the Fonseca Vintage line.

Billed as a bodied cigar this is a wonderfull lightweight main eventer, that I would seriously consider stocking for those times you need a break from the heavier full bodied smokes or to pass to friends and beginner smokers as it is not overly complex. At an average of $1.28 per stick this is a nice addition to those seeking a light everyday smoke.
Today I am reviewing the Torpidos from Pedro Estevez. These Cigars were sent to me by Habanos & Hermanos to review. Here is the info from there web site.

Torpedo Cigar - 6 1/8 x 52 - Medium Bodied - Wrapper Connecticut.
Brand: Pedro Estevez
Collection: Connecticut
Shape: Torpedos (Fig.)
Flavor: Medium
Size:  52 x 6 1/4 "

Pre Light:

This is a well-constructed cigar sporting a nice medium dark tan Connecticut wrapper void of any large veins or major flaws. I achieved a nice cut with my Xikar cutter and the pre light draw was about rite, not to easy and not to tight. No definitive pre light taste.

Post light:

After a quick toasting and an easy light with my triple flame torch this cigar started out mild with no noticeable flavors at all. After a few puffs I started to taste some nutty notes like almonds and cashews and just a touch of spice on the retrohale. As I worked on into the first third I started pick up just a hint of sweet caramel that lingered on the pallet. These flavors remained and the nuttiness built in presents just a tad on through the rest of first third. The second third brought about more of and earthy tone and slight hint of coffee. The caramel moved to more of a toffee again just barely noticeable as the flavor moved more towards the mild side of medium, still not overly complex but offering some nice flavors. So far the burn has been nice and even with out any major issues. Heading on into the last third I started to get a very mild chili pepper like spice on the tip of my tong fallowed by sweet ginger on the finish and a medium white pepper on the retro. As I nubed this thing it got pretty spicy but never harsh.

Conclusion:

I would put this cigar at medium body and the same on strength. Though it did not hold an ash very well I was not disappointed in this smoke at all. I looks like the asking price on these things is about $1.30 and for that I cant see how you could go wrong at least giving them a try. Never overly complex yet well blended, nice burning and an enjoyable smoke.

Good reviews, gents (and I use that term loosely)... it's always intresting to see how different people can perceive the same cigar.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
MikeD Wrote:Good reviews, gents (and I use that term loosely)... it's always intresting to see how different people can perceive the same cigar.
Thanks, guysWink