Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying COHIBA's in Playa del Carmen
My mother will be vacationing in Mexico near Playa del Carmen later this month and want her to bring me back a box of Cohiba's.

I'm new to cigars and have been doing some research on how she can avoid fakes, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy a box, how much one might expect to pay, what a good "first" Cohiba cigar might be and how to avoid the "fakes".

Thanks for your help and I can't wait to be puffing on my very own "authentic" Cohibas!
There is one and only one shop in Playa del Carmen that sells the real deal.  But you will pay through the nose  with Mexican taxes.  A Cohiba Esplendido will run you about $44 per stick.

Any street vendor that sells them will sell you a fake.  No ifs, and, or buts about it.  There is a Cuban store in the plaza area.  The plaza is nestled right up to Playcar Palace hotel just to its south. 

Around the plaza there are street vendors and shack-type shops and retail wagons.  But the actual plaza has very nice stores and store fronts.  There is a Cuban shop on one of the streets in the plaza.  Its back is towards Playacar Palace, its front faces to the north.  Again its an all Cuban store with lot' of images of Castro and "communism rules" type items.  In this store is a bar and a walk in humidor.  I believe the shop is called "Everything Cuban".   I have been there several times but can never remember the name.

Read these words very carefully,  "This is the ONLY shop in Playa del Carmen that sells the real deal authentic Cuban cigars.  And they will cost you.
Well, if yer certain ye want Cohibas, ye could get either the Robustos or the Siglo VI (great introductory sticks as far as Cohiba goes); but, be sure that's what ye want (Cohiba might be a tad too expensive), since ye could get Montecristos, Bolivars, Partagas, among others bloody tasty (I'd rather a Party or Boli than Cohiba, for example).
I believe US_Tank is referring to "La Bodeguita del medio" I was there this past June. A Beautiful young lady at the register, and a free Mojito to finalize my purchase. Remember, you are paying resort prices. There may be more economical choices for the box you seek.
Ye could also go to the LCDH there (cheaper than la Bodeguita).
Time Wrote:I believe US_Tank is referring to "La Bodeguita del medio" I was there this past June. A Beautiful young lady at the register, and a free Mojito to finalize my purchase. Remember, you are paying resort prices. There may be more economical choices for the box you seek.

Was it this lady?  Wink

[Image: IMG_0113-1.jpg]
It was not, but I think we saw her in the bar area . The young lady that accompanied me into the humidor, had the wife asking me if I saw anything I liked (poke in the ribs).Tongue This was a great little place to spend a couple hours(and a couple dollars) at. This is what made it back past the vacation....

[Image: PICT0510.jpg]
Nice pickups there!   Yeah that place was very easy to spend too much money. 
nice keyboardTongue