Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes a good Cigar
Ok peeps, I have been aggressively toking on many smokes in the past monthes and some I have stored away hoping for a better experience, that probably means something different to each person in terms of aging and how they taste and smoke.

One thing I have noticed is some sticks smoke way better than others clear down to the finger tips!  In particular is what I am smoking right now and have really taking a liking too!  I am smoking at Tatuaje P1 and this stick is good down to burning my fingers.  Other named brands seem to get bitter when getting close to the end, even some of them half way through!  That is what my taste buds decide what is good and not.

What makes a good smoke, long filler, short filler, mixed or ? where it comes from?, and other questions that may come up.  I would like to spend my $$$ on the good ones and this place has been a treasure of information, you guys blow my mind on what is here and my bank account is way smaller than it used to be Smile
ktee Wrote:Ok peeps, I have been aggressively toking on many smokes in the past monthes and some I have stored away hoping for a better experience, that probably means something different to each person in terms of aging and how the taste and smoke.

One thing I have noticed is some sticks smoke way better than others clear down to the finger tips!  In particular is what I am smoking right now and have really taking a liking too!  I am smoking at Tatuaje P1 and this stick is good down to burning my fingers.  Other named brands seem to get bitter when getting close to the end, even some of them half way through!

What makes a good smoke, long filler, short filler, mixed or ? where it comes from, and other questions that may come up.  I would like to spend my $$$ on the good ones and this place has been a treasure of information, you guys blow my mind on what is here and my bank account is way smaller than it used to be Smile

Good question.....there are probably going to be many different answers, as everyone has different tastes. Some people prefer "young" cigars, others prefer aged cigars.

I like to stay with long filler....short fillers are really table scraps, possibly sweep off the floor with who knows what else.Confusedhock:

The humidity that you keep your cigars at can also have an effect. I prefer 65%

I also think the company you keep when you smoke also has a big effect. And also what you drink too.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
good question, and half the answer is in your inquiry, which means you're already on the right track.

everything... everything! ... depends upon what you like, and what you like now may be different from what you dig a year from now and three years hence.

imho, most cigars don't do very well past the half-way mark. they over-heat and get acrid. experimenting with a bunch of different stuff eventually taught me that high-quality (= more $ usually, unfortunately) means a better and longer smoke. the ultimate example of a consistently nubbable smoke, in my highly biased opinion, is a padron '64.

whatever, the journey and experimentation is the fun part. try varied stogies that grab your fancy and keep an open mind and palate (trying to ignore marketing and flash). eventually you build a list of go-to sticks that are pure joy on a sunny afternoon or a foggy night.
To me each cigar is an experience though be it a subjective one. I would say there are four major factors involved in the overall perception and enjoyment  of a cigar. I would loosely put them in this order, taste, burn, price and construction. I would include things like strength and flavor in with taste. To me if all of these factors are good then I have a good cigar on my hands, if some of the factors add up but others don’t then I would call it an ok cigar and this may also depend on what factors are lacking. If none of these factors but maybe one add up then I would put it in the not so good to dog rocket category.
The simple version......great tobacco and an expert roller preferably rolled entubo style. [rob]
Well, for me, the first question I always have about a cigar is "did I enjoy it?"  It seems like a simple enough question, but it's not always all that easy to answer.

Sometimes I like a cigar because it's complex.  Sometimes I like it because it's simple.  Sometimes I like it because it's long and drawn out, and others I like because they're right to the point and done.  Sometimes I want to pay attention to my cigar, and other times I just want it to be there while I'm talking or reading.

I try to take each cigar individually, and not judge it based on who made it or how much I paid for it, or how rare it was.  In the end, by the time I've set it on fire, it's just a cigar.  I want the cigar simple to be what it is, and my response to it to be uncolored by anything other than what I thought of it - if I thought of it at all - while I was smoking it.

So, for me, a cigar is a celebration of experience.  It's about taking an experience - in this case smoking a cigar - and bringing nothing to it, and seeing what I get from it.  But, as a ritualized experience, cigar smoking gives me insight as to what experience is itself.