7 x 47
Box Code: SLA MAY 01
Wrapper: Cuba
Binder: Cuba
Filler: Cuba
Date: 10-03-08
Smoke Time: 110 minutes

Prelight:
A beautifully constructed cigar covered with a smooth light-brown wrapper.  There was a small tear in the wrapper at about the halfway point of the cigar, and not other defects or major veins.  The cigar had a pretty fair box press – likely due to a 7+ year nap in a dress box.  Prelight aroma was dominated by a pleasant spicy mustiness.  There were also hints of salt and cedar.  Prelight taste consisited of raisins, a touch of sweetness, and leather.

[Image: monarca-100308-001.jpg]

1/3:
The draw was a touch tighter than I prefer, but it was not distracting at all.  The cigar started right off with some very pleasant leathery flavors that filled my mouth.  There was also the slightest hint of the saltiness that I found in the prelight aroma.  This third is very smooth and well-balanced.

[Image: monarca-100308-002.jpg]

2/3:
The leather flavors became a little more subdued, with a subtle grassiness moving to the forefront.  A very slight spiciness also mixed in with the grassiness as this third progressed.  It was very subtle – just barely noticable – and it was a great compliment to the grassiness.

[Image: monarca-100308-003.jpg]

3/3:
The spiciness intensified just a little bit, but it is still a small overall part of the flavor profile.  The grassiness has transitioned back to the leather of the first third, but this time it is a very smooth wet leather flavor.  It is not heating up at all, and the cigar is still very tasty.

[Image: monarca-100308-004.jpg]

Overall:
I really enjoyed this cigar!   It was a very smooth and refined smoke, with an interesting evolution of flavors that certainly kept my interest.  I think that the age has really made this into a smooth and enjoyable cigar without any bite or twang at all.  Definitely recommended!

Bill, thanks for the review..I'm getting to be a big fan of H. Upmann
Sounds like a great smoke. Thanks for the review!
Great review Bill. I tried one and liked it a lot and smooth is a very fitting word for this cigar and no burn issues to detract from the experience.
GREAT REVIEW!  Thanks[bravo]
Thanks for the review.  [bravo2]
Beautiful cigar and a great review, you are a rock star Bill....Smoking nothing but the best
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Nice review and cigar looks in prestine conditions for 7 years of aging on it.
Keith Wrote:Nice review and cigar looks in prestine conditions for 7 years of aging on it.
Yeah...  they arrived in great shape...   the flap of paper covering them had a healthy coat of oil on it as well...   [thumbsup]