Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob Humidor question..`
vader745 Wrote:
davidwys Wrote:
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
JoeBob Wrote:What are you using as a humidifier?
Don't put off the digital hygrometer too long...and don't skimp on it either.

You wouldn't leave a brand new Blu-Ray DVD player out in the rain...don't leave your cigars in conditions just as damaging.

But, to answer your original question....it doesn't matter. Shoot man, stand them up on end. As long as they all fit and aren't sitting on top of your humidification, you should be fine.

And most importantly......CONGRATS! [winner]
Yeah...and after you get the digital hygro....start planning on your next LARGER humidor Tongue Big Grin
this site is awful for trying to save money.  enjoy the new hobby!

dave

Saving money... I've noticed that this site isn't the best at that.  Although there were some recommendations of web sites to purchase that looked pretty good...

The humidor has a round humidifier that attaches to the top.  Used the PG/Distilled water mix to charge it.

My buddy offered me a 100 count one that uses beads.  Might take him up on it...[bravo]
The beads are great!  I use the 65%.  Just make sure you ONLY use distilled water with them.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Ye'll soon find out the slope is steep, mate. Ye'll love it. Enjoy the ride! And get the beads. And a coolerdor. And a Palio. And...
The humidification is important. I was using the Drymistat humidfication sticks and they did not keep the humidity up where it needed to be. i bought a pound of beads and the humidity is right where it needs to be. Also the digital meter is the way to go since it tells the RH and temp. No need to waste a lot of money on sticks that go bad, ie mold, beatles..... As for the humi i started out with a 50 count a few months back and am now looking for at least a 150 count. There are a lot on here that use the Antetaim and it looks like a Great humi. You'll find that as time goes on and a few box purchases down the road that you will out grow humi's. As soon as I get my bonous check the Antetaim as going to be ordered to take the place of the 50 count that i have now. The 50 Count will be turned into the "Someday Humi".

Hope that this helps and once again CONGRATS on becoming one of the other guys that used to have money until they started smoking Fine Cigars!! LOL!

AC
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

I would just pile them up.  A 25ct is pretty small, and you'll find your self digging though it alot and layers of cedar will just get in the way.  Sure, you'll tell yourself that you don't need to look in there, the cigars need to rest and blah blah blah but you will. 

Big Grin

Beads are great, as everyone has said. 
Thanks again guys.  Lots of good info here.

For right now the 25 ct actually has about 32 in there with the humidity holding fine (68%).

A buddy of mine is getting a larger humidor (300+) count and is giving me his 150.  That should hold me for a "little" while..

Down the slippery slope I go...[help]
[Image: slippery.png?w=273&h=330]  Big Grin
[user=1393]vader745[/user] wrote:
Quote:Thanks again guys.  Lots of good info here.

For right now the 25 ct actually has about 32 in there with the humidity holding fine (68%).

A buddy of mine is getting a larger humidor (300+) count and is giving me his 150.  That should hold me for a "little" while..

Down the slippery slope I go...[help]

We all have made that slide. I started with a small humi just like you. Within one month, I was looking for something larger. Now the 25 sits in my office at the studio [thumbsup].

As far as humidification goes. You can use the standard humidifier, but they are attention whores lol. If you want something a little more hands off, go with heartfelt beads. Thats what I use in all of my humidors and cooler and I have never seen the RH change from 65% unless I open them for a min.

Oh yea, I almost forgot.... Congrats brother[bravo][winner][bravo2]
Yep - going down the slope..

Got some heartfelt beads for the 25 count.  Friend gave me a 75 count Dunhill (about 20 years old) that was in great condition, along with a dozen from his collection as a welcome to the club..

[wow]