Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a lil worried
about the NYS budget crisis....I work for the stae as an addictions counselor at an inpatient rehab. I love my job and I'm good at it, dammit! It is a possibility that 1-3 state run addiction treatment centers will be closed (there are 13). The governor is expected to make the announcement december 16th. Merry f'n Christmas, right? I'm scared. If I lose my job, I'm screwed. If I were to stay in the area and in the field, I would likely take a 50% pay cut and thats IF I were to get a job in the field with the market flooded with newly unemployed counselors......I'm trying to stay positive. It's really out of my hands. Besides, Jaclyn, the kids and I are all healthy and happy and there's a lot of love to pass around so life is good. Anyway..I guess I just wanted to vent a little. I am sharing facts with my wife but try not to share my fears so she doesn't freak out. SOoooo...I am here to shout to you all.. "I'M SCARED!!!!" Thanks for listening. I hope you all have a brilliant day.
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
Keep you head up, brother.  You said it yourself, all are healthy.  Take it from me, for what it's worth, things can get a lot worse.  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  I am a cancer survivor and losing my job is the VERY least of my worries.  Hope that puts things into perspective for you some. 

Also, don't worry about the things you cannot change, only about the things you can change. 
best of luck to ya man.  its rough out there now, but if ya hang in there for a while we migt have a turn aorund in the next year or so.  hope all works out. 

as desparate as it might be retailers will be hiring in the near future (i work for banana republic) for the holiday season.  although it might not be the pay your used to, it certainly is better than nothing and could hold you over till something opens.
Unlike me,  have your health and your young and that's a big plus.  If I were in your shoes, I would be looking and interviewing just to see what was out there. You never know, you might just find something in the private sector that's better. We are always here I'm sad to say. LOL  You could always come up here, we would be a full time job for you where your needed. Big Grin

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

well, today my company released a press release explaining how my CEO was not involved in a scandle. Stock dropped to below 10 (it was in the high 40's a few months ago). Add that to closed accounts, depressed market values, the market conditions... We will be laying off BIG TIME!

And, like everyone else, my house(s) are worth half what they were, my portfolio is the same, my retirement portfolios all but evaporated...

You can't dwell on this crap. It will make you sick. Just ignore it and hope it ignores you. Deal with the real and not with the "what if"
I totally agree. I refuse to dwell on negatives and/or "what ifs". I learned that lesson long ago. I am focused on the positves I mentioned..happy, healthy and loving family - at the end of the day..that's what matters. When I wrote my intial post, I had just come from a meeting and needed to vent. The bottom line is...as crappy as this situation may or may not be...If this is my biggest problem today (and it is) I am truly blessed!!!
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
what matters in life has no price yet has value aplenty.  when times get confusing, depressing or in any other way that makes you uneasy clear your mind and go back to the riches you possess.  with them firmly in hand and mind there is nothing this world can do that can touch you.

those things that have prices can be traded.  judged.  worth more.  worth less.  those things that have value can never be touched.

best of luck to you and us all.

hey i'm poor and rather homely so i needed a fast wit to get me laid.  i'm pretty sure i still do.  that and the threat that i'll return my wife to her parents.