Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cellophane in the humidor
Some packed naked and some not, Why? Cost maybe.  There HAS to be a reason.

My first box was a Rocky P 1990 vintage and naked. I just found out they come both ways.  ???

OK
Now how about Tubos.  I really don't care to hear that the moisture is going to get into a metal or glass tube with a cork top or a threaded screw-on cap with a cork, foam or plastic washer seal. I just picked up some REAL special tubes and my first thought was to box them naked to age.
This is way too many questions to ask for discussion.  I know, I'll post whore and start 10 threads.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

tafdom Wrote:[color="red"]Some packed naked and some not, Why? Cost maybe.  There HAS to be a reason.[/color]

My first box was a Rocky P 1990 vintage and naked. I just found out they come both ways.  ???

This is a good question T. Hear are my thoughts which don't really mean a whole lot but it makes sense to me.

The ones boxed with cello wrappers are for individual sale. The cigar shop can display the box open and customers will be able to pick their cigar without having to worry who held else touched the cigar before them. Like the guy who runs his nose along the cigar then puts it back in the box.[nono]

The ones without the cello are made with the attention of being sold to the customer as a box instead of single individual cigars. Sealed box direct to customer no need for the rain coat.

I could be wrong, but that is what makes sense to me. 
Makes good sense. 
Wow, thank you all for your advice! I have enjoyed reading each one of your posts.
As for me, i just leave them in the cello. I have also read that the aging process is sped up by the cello being off, but like others have stated prior, the cello on will help protect them in the humi when your digging around looking for what you want to smoke...........And I am LAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZY! Also the glass tubes that have to cork stoppers, I just take the stoppers out and lay them in the humi so that they can get moisture and air. Cello is supposed to allow mositure and air to pass through them(from what I've read).
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

I would some up that there is no right or wrong answer.  Keeping the cello on protects the sticks, holds humidity however the humi should serve to do that, and keeps flavors from marrying together.

Removing cello allows breathing, potentially allows for better aging.   However Maduro's should be stored next to like cigars in order not to allow marrying of maduro's with naturals. 

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. 
US_Tank Wrote:I would some up that there is no right or wrong answer.  Keeping the cello on protects the sticks, holds humidity however the humi should serve to do that, and keeps flavors from marrying together.

Removing cello allows breathing, potentially allows for better aging.   However Maduro's should be stored next to like cigars in order not to allow marrying of maduro's with naturals. 

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do. 
The old "cello on or cello off" question is very similar to which came first the chicken or the egg. Everyone has a different opinion. I say try both and see what works for you.
Quote:

I have a box of Sharks from 10 of 07 that started to get a few very small spots of mold on EVERY single cigar back in April . I removed the cello and they are clean as a pin 8 months later. With the probs I have heard about mold on the 55s and 77s, I removed the wraps on every box of Anejo's I have.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Sometimes I take it off.  But only for certain reasons.
Like I was going to smoke it and something came up, or I changed my mind and couldn't get it back in.
Previous one (from the same batch) was too wet or a bit too dry so i let it sit in the humi a bit.
I leave it on.