Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title Defense
chris1980 Wrote:good luck tank i hope you win again [thumbsup]

Thanks Chris.   I had a little setback last night.   A little undried super glue holding the sharp part of the axle into the wood leaked to the wheel when I was applying graphite lube and spinning wheels.   I thought after one hour the glue had dried but it had not.

The wheel was damn near locked so I had to pull out the axle, I bent it in the process, had to re-shape it, and run 5 different grits of sandpaper to strip the superglue down to the final polish.

The I had to run a drill bit into the wheels to clear the glue and re-polish then reinstall the whole works.   I was up until 3am doing it.   On the bright side I got to smoke a 3rd cigar last night.

Today I am continually applying graphite and spinning wheels getting ready for the big race in about 6 hours. 
Thats one hell of a dad and a group leader[bravo2][bravo2]
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
This has been successfully done!  [bravo]

Final prep work last night at 2am.

[Image: IMG_2966.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2968.jpg]

We had to go early to set up the track.   Brand new track this year.

[Image: IMG_2970.jpg]

114 cars entered.

[Image: IMG_2976.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2978.jpg]

My youngest boy Jordan took 1st in his division last year and 2nd Place Grand Champion.   Jacob took 1st in his division and 1st Place Grand Champion.   So this year I gave Jordan what I thought was the faster car.   He took 2nd to his older brother again. 

Jacob will be a Boy Scout in two months and Jordan has two more Pinewood Derby's to be Grand Champion.

[Image: IMG_2985.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2989.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2995.jpg]
No pics of the Tank in his Troop Leader uniform?
How about Den father?  Tongue

Congrats to your sons! [thumbsup]
Congrats!  My cars were always slow.
congrats Tank you are the man and i'm sure your boys are very happy and luck to have a dad like you bro great job[thumbsup]
I started the sit down video.....The Transporter!!
CONGRATS!!!

114 cars and 2 or 3 lanes? Man, that should take all night!

We had a 12 lane track. It was a monster. (storing it was a trip).

The key to this is weight. You want to get right up to that magic weight and not a fraction less. I used to overweight the car in the off chance they were being liberal or the scales were calibrated different then with a cordless drill remove minute amounts of lead (using different size bits) until the car would be accepted.

Another trick, I used to curve the wheel surface. Those flat wheels had too much contact with the track. Just spin them on a drill with a curved piece of sandpaper in my hands. & take the edges off of them.

And, of course you want your car to run true without a track. We used to roll it on the livingroom floor for days making tweaks.

VitG, I dont know how you could shorten any axle, the wheel-base is set to the track. Any changes there and the car would not work (the track is supposed to have the guide hump in the middle & if your den's track didn't, rest assured that if you move on the the finals, the other tracks will).

My kids cars took 1st place county regionals the first year, then we got crushed at the state level.