Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UFC 94
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:For those of you who haven't seen it:

http://www.mmatko.com/georges-st-pierre-vs-bj-penn-2-fight-video-ufc-94/

1. as the robfather stated oh so accurately bj penn fights at the wrong weight.  a pure striker, at the heavier weight he's forced to rely on his bjj which is no match for the much larger man.  sure you can pull guard.  go for an armbar.  triangle.  but you will eat elbows and hammer fists until you're stupid. 

2. st. pierre doesn't just beat people.  he breaks their spirit.  people quit fights with him long before the fight is over.  if not for a stupid lucky matt serra punch we'd be talking about this guy as the most destructive force in combat sports since mid 80's mike tyson.  thialgo alves half looks excited for a title shot and half looks like he's been sentenced to walk the green mile.
I have too agree 110%   GSP totally dominated from the start. On the ground, he had complete control over Penn, moving in & out of Penn's guard at will & to his advantage, not Penn's.  In all truth, Penn's corner should have stopped the fight at least a round earlier. Penn had lost any hope/spirit he had by that point.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles

1. as the robfather stated oh so accurately bj penn fights at the wrong weight.  a pure striker, at the heavier weight he's forced to rely on his bjj which is no match for the much larger man.  sure you can pull guard.  go for an armbar.  triangle.  but you will eat elbows and hammer fists until you're stupid. 

2. st. pierre doesn't just beat people.  he breaks their spirit.  people quit fights with him long before the fight is over.  if not for a stupid lucky matt serra punch we'd be talking about this guy as the most destructive force in combat sports since mid 80's mike tyson.  thialgo alves half looks excited for a title shot and half looks like he's been sentenced to walk the green mile.

Rob, thanks for the link.

but.. BJ is a pure striker? I have to disagree. I agree that Penn was no match for GSP-this time, but this kid has training issues.

GSP breaks people? Well, you can say that about any fight where 1 person dominates. It just so happens GSP does a lot of dominating.

Ever think that a punch to the face in a fight can be anything but dumb luck?
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:

Rob, thanks for the link.

but.. BJ is a pure striker? I have to disagree. I agree that Penn was no match for GSP-this time, but this kid has training issues.

GSP breaks people? Well, you can say that about any fight where 1 person dominates. It just so happens GSP does a lot of dominating.

Ever think that a punch to the face in a fight can be anything but dumb luck?

1.  Penn's hallmark was his striking ability at lighter weights.  Yes he's a black belt in bjj, seems everyone is these days but the strength of his game was his striking ability.  You notice how GSP explained that his game plan was to affect the blood flow to penn's shoulders thereby neutralizing his striking ability.

2.  Did you see Penn quit in his corner?  So convinced that he could do nothing?  That's what GSP does to people.  Breaks them.  No different than Spinks shaking in the ring before facing Tyson.

3.  I think luck is a factor but in 100 opportunities technique will come out with a higher percentage of success than luck.