Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida Smuggler Gets Probation
Florida Smuggler Gets Probation

Man sentenced to probation for cigar smuggling

Associated Press - January 21, 2009 11:34 AM ET
Original article from WWSB TV, ABC 7 Sarasota

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - A southwest Florida man accused of smuggling 42 bottles of rum and more than 28,000 Cuban cigars into the United States will spend three years on probation.

Douglas Hiner must also attend a substance abuse program and participate in random drug tests. He was sentenced in Fort Myers on Tuesday.

Authorities said they stopped a 53-foot sailboat carrying Cuban cigars and rum in the waters near Tampa in 2008. They than located a storage unit they say Hiner used to store the contraband in Fort Myers.

Hiner's attorney declined to comment on the sentence.
Vitasea! [lol]
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
OK.  How did they determine which politicians were recipients of the 28,000?
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
how much $ did he make off this venture years before he got caught... Probation? That works for me & I carry enough fuel in my boat for a few round trips per tank.
I wonder how much he smuggled before he got caught.  I want some of that Cuban rum.........Tongue
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:how much $ did he make off this venture years before he got caught... Probation? That works for me & I carry enough fuel in my boat for a few round trips per tank.
I'll back ya!!![bravo]
I think the repercussions from this ass are just beginning!  He was selling to some people who are very worried that he got this seemingly lenient sentence due to his singing like a canary about everywhere/one he was doing business with.  I hope that's not the case.:?

Oh and Skip, I'd make a decent deck hand.Big Grin
The more I think about this...

charges:
  • smuggling
  • possession of contraband
  • dealing with the enemy
  • visiting Cuba without the necessary paperwork
  • possession of drugs & apparently using too.
not to mention local charges of dealing in tobacco and liquor without the required papers... Did he move any of this product interstate? How about the unclaimed income taxes.

There is not a government entity that should not be after this guy... and he gets probation?
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:The more I think about this...

charges:
  • smuggling
  • possession of contraband
  • dealing with the enemy
  • visiting Cuba without the necessary paperwork
  • possession of drugs & apparently using too.
not to mention local charges of dealing in tobacco and liquor without the required papers... Did he move any of this product interstate? How about the unclaimed income taxes.

There is not a government entity that should not be after this guy... and he gets probation?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #b9af9f"yea...and I get my a$$ handed to me for buying a box of RASS:?
Here is some more info from CigarCylopedia

Los Angeles, January 22, 2009 – What happens when you’re caught with 28,000 Cuban-made cigars, 42 bottles of Cuban rum, 100 cartons of Cuban cigarettes and 30 pounds of Cuban coffee?

You get convicted of a felony and get sentenced to 36 months probation and required to enter a substance abuse program and submit to random drug testing.

That’s what happened Tuesday to 69-year-old Douglas Hiner of Port Charlotte, Florida, who pled guilty to one count of importing illegal goods into the U.S. Although the U.S. Attorney’s Office had recommended a prison sentence, U.S. District Judge John Steele decided on probation instead.

Hiner was caught last May when the U.S. Coast Guard intercepted his 53-foot sailboat, the Vitamin Sea, and found hidden compartments which contained Cuban-origin goods that are prohibited under the American trade embargo with Cuba. The discovery led investigators to a Fort Myers storage facility which contained the 28,000 cigars, the rum, coffee, cigarettes and other contraband.

“Obviously, I wasn’t a good smuggler,” he told the Omaha World-Herald newspaper. “But it was a victimless crime. Essentially, it was a political crime.”

Hiner was a real estate developer in Omaha and reportedly amassed a $6 million fortune before finding out that his partner had embezzled most of the money and then, after being indicted, fled to Australia. When things were good, Hiner used to sail to Cuba to deliver medical supplies and came back with some Cuban cigars for his friends.

After moving to Florida after declaring bankruptcy in 2005, Hiner soon began buying hundreds or thousands of cigars to sell in the U.S., but was apparently buying them off the street instead of from legitimate stores. Thus, he had considerable trouble moving them in the U.S. And then he ran into the Coast Guard.

“I’m very relieved,” he said after the sentencing hearing. “I had moved everything out of my apartment and into a storage locker. Basically, I thought I was going to jail.” At 69, he doesn’t have a lot of job prospects, but he does have one real estate deal cooking that could lead to others.

And he’d like to be able to buy his boat back. It was seized and has been held since his arrest. But he’s ready to make an offer and doubts anyone else would have much interest in the 20-year-old sloop. But he’d like to live on the boat . . . and promises he won’t be going to Cuba again.