Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone cook with cast iron?
Our cast iron skillet does not leave the stove top, pretty much ever.  Better than any non-stick POS out there.  I have to be careful because we have the electric glass top stove, but its worth being careful.  We break the "rules" a bit, clean it with water and a sponge from time to time, but ALWAYS afterwards it gets dried, put on the stove, heated and oiled afterwards, every time, no acceptions.  Just a low heat and a drop of oil spread out does the trick.  Had it 5 years and still looks like new to me.  we have a smaller one that doesn't get treated as well, and the cast iron is starting to wear down from not taking care of it. 
Matt-N-Ga. Wrote:My favorite pan is a 12 inch Lodge skillet, and my favorite pot is a 12 inch dutch oven.  I've been using cast iron for years, and will never give it up.  Nothing can distribute and hold as much heat as a nice, thick, iron skillet.  A few things to remember :

Never clean one with soap.  Use nothing but hot water, and a scrub brush.  Thats it.  cleaning with soap will remove the thin oil barrier, or the Seasoning.

While the pot or pan is still hot, dry it thouroughly, and wipe it down with a small amount of oil.  Seasoning is done hot because when hot, the pores in the iron open up, allowing the oil to penetrate deeper, making a nearly non-stick surface.  I use olive oil for this.  I use Crisco for the re-season I do about once a year.

Be very carefull !!!   These pans will hold heat for upwards of 2 hours after removing from the source of heat.  I've burned myself several times not taking my own advice.

Use it ALOT.  The more you use it, the better it will become.  When it gets real dark in color, and feel slick, it's PERFECT.  Better than teflon, and lots more fun.  This pan will last forever.  Enjoy bro, if you need any help, just ask, PM me anytime, I use mine religiously.

1. Same theory as wet shaving.

2. I tell that to my wife all the time.[lol][lol][lol]
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:
Matt-N-Ga. Wrote:My favorite pan is a 12 inch Lodge skillet, and my favorite pot is a 12 inch dutch oven.  I've been using cast iron for years, and will never give it up.  Nothing can distribute and hold as much heat as a nice, thick, iron skillet.  A few things to remember :

Never clean one with soap.  Use nothing but hot water, and a scrub brush.  Thats it.  cleaning with soap will remove the thin oil barrier, or the Seasoning.

While the pot or pan is still hot, dry it thouroughly, and wipe it down with a small amount of oil.  [color="darkred"]Seasoning is done hot because when hot, the pores in the iron open up, [/color]allowing the oil to penetrate deeper, making a nearly non-stick surface.  I use olive oil for this.  I use Crisco for the re-season I do about once a year.

Be very carefull !!!   These pans will hold heat for upwards of 2 hours after removing from the source of heat.  I've burned myself several times not taking my own advice.

[color="darkred"]Use it ALOT.  The more you use it, the better it will become.[/color]  When it gets real dark in color, and feel slick, it's PERFECT.  Better than teflon, and lots more fun.  This pan will last forever.  Enjoy bro, if you need any help, just ask, PM me anytime, I use mine religiously.

1. Same theory as wet shaving.

2. I tell that to my wife all the time.[lol][lol][lol]

I need a wife for this very reason.

"Honey, go re-season the skillet...   preferably with some bacon or some steak"
I give my wife a dutch oven all the time...Tongue

jk
Question here: if a skillet should ever begin to rust, what is the best way to take it off?

I have just "inherited" an old steel wok from my mother (she isn't using it, I will), and I would like to restore it as most of my cooking is simple frying dishes.  Unfortunately it hasn't been used in over five years and has developed some rusting on the inside of the surface.  Since my mother is on par with Betty Crocker, I'll take her word that this is a quality piece of cookware.  I fondly remember my mother cooking the best stir-fry, dumplings, and fried rice I have ever had in this thing, so I'd like to make it servicible again.
BigE Wrote:Question here: if a skillet should ever begin to rust, what is the best way to take it off?

I have just "inherited" an old steel wok from my mother (she isn't using it, I will), and I would like to restore it as most of my cooking is simple frying dishes.  Unfortunately it hasn't been used in over five years and has developed some rusting on the inside of the surface.  Since my mother is on par with Betty Crocker, I'll take her word that this is a quality piece of cookware.  I fondly remember my mother cooking the best stir-fry, dumplings, and fried rice I have ever had in this thing, so I'd like to make it servicible again.

Not sure if there is a "protocol" to restore a wok, but certainly removing ALL the rust, by sanding? scraping then coating it with a heavy cooking oil, (maybe canola) and then heating it gently in the oven at a low heat for some time30 min maybe.  This is what I would do to a IRON skillet.  so maybe this would carry over to a steel wok

BigE Wrote:Question here: if a skillet should ever begin to rust, what is the best way to take it off?

Try this...

Search engine may solve your problem...

Or this link is even better..."How to remove rust from a wok"
exclusivley either bare or enameled LeCrueset ( france) or Desco Ware (belgium) Carbon steel WOK for asian

YOU HAVE GOT TO SEASON YOUR CAST IRON WITH PEANUT OIL!! and never wash it with SOAP!!! hot water ONLY