Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H. Upmann Mag 46 - May 2005 - from MaduroDave
Took an hour away from the NCAA Championship Game last night to smoke this H. Hpmann Magnum 46 from May 2005 with a couple of Sierra Nevada Pale Ales in the Cigarmobile. Tunes rocking the stereo included Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magic & Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

My one and only younger brother called to announce the birth of Elliott "Ellie" Anne Dub at 12:35pm on April 6th. She came in at 8lbs 5oz & 21.5" (or something close to that). The heartbeat was gone for a moment but they used the suction-cup thingie and pulled her out. All is well that ends well.

So, I have the opportunity to be the bad uncle once again! [devil][brently][devil]

This was one of the most attractive cigars I've ever beheld. 48 RG x 6 5/16". Gorgeous golden/milk-chocolate wrapper with just a few green splotches (I love that!). The triple cap was flawless and had a beautifully symetrical flat top. Lumpy, moderately veiny, and ridges running the length of the barrel; this was one of the oiliest wrappers to the touch. Under the overhead light, the wrapper had all those little spider-hairs on it!

The draw was a little tight at first, but opened up later and it produced plenty of pungeant smoke. Despite the age, it tasted just a tad young. If you can believe that. I would imagine that these would age well.

The strength was medium, but there was plenty of body to the smoke. Aromas of leather, earth, cedar and that Cuban funktaciousness. One reviewer described a "tartness" and I would have to agree with that. These nuances were present from beginning to end, and didn't really seem to change all that much throughout the cigar as it burned down.

The ash was grey and loose. I tapped off every three-quarters inches, and the ash broke easily. It curved to one side as it formed, and the wrapper bulged out and in right at the burn line as it combusted. I attribute this to the extremely oily wrapper. It was really a kick to watch this stick burn down.

With the passenger window only slightly cracked, I got to savor the aromas to my heart's content. Every now and again, I would open the window to flush the smoke from the cabin. The incoming wind would produce a far woodier scent for a brief moment. I did this over and over again. Hah! What a trip.

Anyway, it was a beautiful cigar by anyone's standards. And a fitting cigar to celebrate my new niece! Thanks for the gift, Dave. Cool Oh, and the Tarheels won 89-72. Not too bad for a Monday.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
Congrats uncle B. And thanks for that good review. I learn a lot from reviews like that. [pirate2]
I love your reviews!  Great job!  And congrats on being a new uncle.  I love the role, myself!
Congrats on the new addition to the family, and great review, definatly on the "to Try" list [thumbsup]
aka: The Bouncer
"I Herfed with The Mum" !! And have the shirt to prove it !!!!
I got my "Big Cock t-shirt from Tankie !!!
Congrats new Unca B Dub, great review, as I read it I felt as though I was sitting there with ya.  Too bad it snowed an inch today because I have a few 46's  (07) stashed and your review has me cravin' one with a few fingers of single malt.

By the way.....before anyone else calls it.....next time.....
[line]
SHOTGUN!!
[line]
[Image: marine1.jpg]

What a great occasion to smoke a cigar to, congrats on bein' the bad uncle...Smile.

Love that RHCP record, one of my all time fav's. I haven't heard of the Sugar Poppin' Daddies, but I have heard of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. Same band?
Oh crap! Hahaha. That's what I get for writing an early-morning review. I pretty much gave up my coffee this morning in order to write that up before dashing off to the office. Glad y'all are digging it! I sure enjoyed smoking it.

Oh, I should probably add that the car was in park the whole time.
Did you guys think I was drunk-driving? [nono] Heheheh.
TonKra, you can ride shotgun with me anytime.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
Hah, its funny it was even mentioned. I never got that impression, but I know a couple guys who will have a cigar in the car because of the heat and to not stink up their place. Nice review.
Great ocasions, great friends and a great cigar... Great review B-Dub [brently]

I plan on finding out what these Magnum 46ers are all about. Heard plenty about them around these parts.