Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dr frankenstein..
ashman Wrote:The Oliva Serie V is good as is, as is the Partagas.  What results are you looking for?

I LOVE Nicaraguan tobacco...and I LOVE  ISOM tobacco.....Just trying to blend by proxy I reckon, and see what happens.

I'm going to photobucket right now gentlemen.
[Image: partiva1.jpg]

above: the oliva with the Partagas wrapper (olivagas)

below L: the Partagas with the oliva wrapper (partiva)

belowR: the oliva with the Partagas wrapper(olivagas)

[Image: olivagas1.jpg][Image: pariva2.jpg]

Detailed process:   I picked two cigars of roughly the same ring guage, the olvia was longer, but I figured that I could probably use the extra bit of wrapper since I have no experience rolling (cigars). I then got a coffee mug, filled it with water and gathered some other tools like a razor, and my cheap ass, but perfect, cutter. I lightly wet both wrappers and let them sit for a couple of minutes, paying special attention to the caps, which I knew were going to be the worst part.  The partagas was first to be de-wrapped...the first cap came off whole, and the other caps came off in fairly intact pieces.  The cigar unwrapped easily.  This is where my wonderment came!!  The wrapper was laying flat on the plate; I could see where the torceador had cut it with his or her chaveta and was the last person that had ever seen this leaf like this.  Pretty cool if you ask me!!  I set the de-wrapped partagas to the side.  It stayed together wonderfully, and the binder was hardly wet at all.  I used the same method to de-wrap the Oliva, though instead of removing the cap, I cut just under it so that it would unwrap easily, and I figured that the extra tobacco in the wrapper would suffice for a stylish pigtail or fold over dealio... The leafs were then lightly moistened to hopefully keep them supple and to provide good adhesion upon returning them to the binders.

Now I had to re-wrap them, which wasn't so easy, but not that difficult either.  I had to investigate how to roll them so that the wrapper would look like it was correctly put on the cigar, and hopefully prevent any burn issues.  I rolled each cigar up with the new wrapper, keeping the wrapper flat on the plate and rolling the cigar upward with my fingers and at an angle to evenly distribute the wrapper.  The wrappers are cut at a kind of crescent shape; this being the most difficult issue (spacially, it was strange to coordinate how the wrapper was going to be re-applied so that it "barber poles" (for lack of a better term) up the length of the cigar.

I have a whole new respect for torceadors and the art of rolling!!  It did surprise me that the binders held together so well, and that it was easier than I could have ever imagined to do this. I honestly thought that I was going to ruin them, in which case...this would have never been posted....  I'll see how they burn and if they burn ok, and taste unique, then I'm going to bastardize a bunch of them!!!

Thanks for reading this, and I know that although this might be viewed as a sacrilege by some BOTL's, hopefully it will be the first in a series of serious attempts to create a unique smoking experience that blends the best of tobacco from countries that rarely or never blend.

Keep em lit

Scott
Nice! Keep us updated on this experiment. I'm curious to see what you think about these when you smoke them.

I do know there are cigar makers around the world particularly in Europe that use blends of different tobacco from Cuba, Nic, Honduras, and so on. Unfortunately they are unknown to many of us, and not available here for obvious reasons.

Somebody on the board received such cigars from an overseas member. They did a review on the cigar and from what I recall he said it was a great cigar.      
Very interesting.......cant wait to hear more bro[thumbsup]
fishhound Wrote:Nice! Keep us updated on this experiment. I'm curious to see what you think about these when you smoke them.

I do know there are cigar makers around the world particularly in Europe that use blends of different tobacco from Cuba, Nic, Honduras, and so on. Unfortunately they are unknown to many of us, and not available here for obvious reasons.

Somebody on the board received such cigars from an overseas member. They did a review on the cigar and from what I recall he said it was a great cigar.      
http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=13203&forum_id=3
Not too crazy, that's how Sam started in his garage when he came up with the nub idea.
Very interesting, interesting indeed...
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
steve047 Wrote:
fishhound Wrote:Nice! Keep us updated on this experiment. I'm curious to see what you think about these when you smoke them.

[color="red"]Somebody on the board received such cigars from an overseas member. They did a review on the cigar and from what I recall he said it was a great cigar.[/color]      
http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=13203&forum_id=3
Thanks for filling in the blanks Steve. [bravo2]

I was too lazy to do the search.[lol]
I'm either really drunk, or this is quite an interesting experiment.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
I'm going to smoke one this evening and post a review as soon as I'm done.

I'd like to send a special thank-you to stogiechat for not slagging down this experiment!!  You guys rock!!